Position Summary: Under the general supervision of the Community Health Center Administrator and the Clinical Nurse Manager/Registered Nurse, and in accordance with established policies and procedures, assists medical providers in rendering patient care during clinic visits by performing routine technical and clerical tasks. The Medical Office Assistant works closely with the Community Health Center Administrator to provide excellent customer service, ensure accurate registration of patients, answering telephones, appointment scheduling and confirmation, signing patients up for the portal and encouraging patients to complete patient satisfaction surveys and other surveys as needed. The Medical Office Assistant will provide coverage as a Medical Assistant on an “as needed” basis. This is a technical and administrative position with no supervisory responsibilities.
- Greets patients, observes their condition and routes them to the provider.
- Ensures that all patients, visitors and guests, as well as co-workers, receive personalized prompt attention and that they are treated with dignity and respect, and with the utmost confidentiality.
- Brings acutely ill patients to the practitioner’s attention immediately.
- Responsible for monitoring the patient flow system, ensuring that all patients (walk-in patients and those with appointments) are processed in a timely manner; informs the Community Health Center Administrator or the Clinical Nurse Manager, or designee of any systems breakdowns.
- Engage in of all aspects of the registration, check-in, and check-out processes, ensuring timeliness, accuracy and completion of the processes, or implementation thereof.
- Organizes and maintains patient forms, including all registration forms, patient referral communications, transfers and address changes, and handles medical referrals and referral communications, as well as tracking.
- Identifies, verifies, and updates health insurance status on patients' records and insurance forms at every visit.
- Provides support with, or initiate insurance related pre-authorizations requests and change of Primary Care Providers requests for patients.
- Responsible for verifying patients’ address, phone number, insurance, and emergency contact information at every visit.
- Responsible for the collection, documentation, and processing of copayments/payments, and ensuring that all collected amounts are given to your manager on a daily basis
- Assist patients with completion of forms, including Release of Information Forms, and assist with processing forms request
- Assists with distribution of carfare/Metrocard reimbursement to eligible patients.
- Responsible for securing funds for carfare reimbursement and daily reconciliation of related funds
- Assists with implementation of electronic programs necessary for patient registration and flow, assists patients in signing up for patient portal and encourages them to complete patient surveys and forms, such as: Patient Satisfaction Survey, Rapid Assessment for Adolescent Preventive Services (RAAPS), etc.
- Completion of Communications Sheets and processing of forms requests
- Schedule appointments in person and over the phone with attention to continuity of care
- Addressing all No-Show appointments per Children’s Aid protocols
- Working with health staff on recalling patients in need of medical, dental and/or mental health interventions.
- Answer all incoming calls in a timely and professional manner
- Determine caller’s need and respond appropriately (transfer, attend to, create Telephone Encounter or seek assistance)
- Responsible for scheduling, rescheduling and confirming appointments per your training
- Manage phone calls with proper phone etiquette and an emphasis on customer care
- Acts as a patient advocate.
- Ordering and restocking office supplies as assigned.
- Responsible for keeping the Health Center Administrator/Supervisor or designee updated on current issues and/or problems related to your job responsibilities or the Center’s environment.
- Assists with other clinic’s clerical duties as assigned by Health Center Administrator/Supervisor or designee
- Participates in meetings, trainings, events, quality improvement and other initiatives
- Comply with all privacy laws including HIPAA and other regulatory laws, rules and guidance.
- Performs other duties, as required or assigned.
- Assesses patients’ vital signs according to specified patient treatment, i.e., checking patient height, weight, venipuncture, urine dip stick, throat culture and pregnancy test.
- Performs or assists with irrigations, dressings, first aid, and other appropriate procedures.
- Assists practitioner in examining patients by preparing patients, assisting with bandages and instruments, and the handling of specimens and cultures.
- Responsible for working closely with medical staff to identify, schedule and draw ordered labs for all patients.
- Responsible for retrieving lab results of all tests ordered, ensuring that results are reviewed by all relevant practitioners, filing results and scheduling patients for required medical and/or mental health follow up visits.
- Maintains an inventory of medical supplies and submits purchases to the Nurse Manager/Registered Nurse.
- Maintains examination room, making sure it is clean and equipped with all the necessary supplies.
- Is competent to care for patients based upon the age groups treated.
- Performs other related duties, as required or assigned by Clinical Nurse Manager/Health Center Administrator.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency Certificate (GED) required.
- Graduate of a State or nationally accredited Medical Assistant Program.
- Medical Assistant Certification preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience working in a Pediatric Medical Practice.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) a must, with ability to interpret both languages and act as an interpreter.
- Works effectively and enthusiastically with children, adolescents, families, professionals and persons from a wide range of cultural, social and economic backgrounds.
- Must be focused (making your work a priority), and not easily distracted
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks at one time
- Must have 2-3 years’ experience working in a medical office/clinic
- Knowledge of Electronic Medical Records, preferably, EClinicalWorks
- Strong communication, organizational, customer service, and interpersonal skills