Escuela da Copa
During the last twenty years, COPA, which is a Christian charity, has brought new hope to needy communities in the Dominican Republic. COPA has made a great difference in the communities it serves by building two schools to educate over 800 children, founded two health clinics, supported pupils through secondary education, organised work skills training for leavers and supported over twenty students through university. More recently COPA has been developing training and resource partnerships with local state schools. We are now experiencing former pupils returning from higher education and university to work in their community. This certainly was not possible twenty years ago, when few children attended school and those who did, left school hardly able to read and write. For many years generations of poor Haitian families have migrated to the Province of Barahona where COPA is working and two thirds of the children in the COPA schools are Haitian.
COPA is now seeking to appoint someone who can carry out the following:
The main duties are as follows:
General and Financial Administration
- Supporting the Project Director in the general administration of the Project and in advising the COPA committees of annual budget requirements
- Maintaining day to day records
- Assisting with the production of monthly reports.
- Together with others, hosting and directing work of visiting work groups
- Managing COPA Messengers and Handymen
- Management and supervision of the maintenance and upkeep of COPA buildings and equipment.
- Management and supervision of maintenance and upkeep of COPA vehicles
- Liaison with COPA UK and US boards on Facilities issues
COPA maintains a team of 6 volunteers covering Education and Health headed by the Project Director to whom this new staff member would be responsible.
All staff are provided with furnished accommodation on one of the COPA
Campuses and all utilities are paid. Insurance and a return flight is paid by COPA. Each volunteer also receives a local stipend of US$600 each month. A contribution towards national insurance or equivalent is also paid.Scooters or small motorcycles are provided for local transport. COPA also has a pick up truck which is available for essential COPA business. Ability to drive is essential.
Spanish Ability to communicate in Spanish is essential.
Contract This is for two years and is renewable by mutual agreement.
Start Date: By agreement
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish written and spoken essential.
Minimum Education Required