The Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU) is a premier, independent and impartial research organization based in Kabul. It envisions an Afghanistan where policy decisions are made on the basis of evidence, open debate and widespread public awareness in the belief that this will better reflect the priorities of Afghans. Information about AREU is available on AREU’s website: www.areu.org.af.
The Publications & Communications Officer (P&C Officer) reports to the Senior Research & Communications Manager (SRCM) and is responsible for the following tasks:
The main responsibilities of the P&C Officer (in addition to editorial duties) are:
- To oversee the production of AREU publications and ensure that they are of high quality and produced in a timely way and that all editorial criteria are taken into consideration;
- To coordinate with researchers, peer-reviewers, editors, translators and printers to ensure publications meet internal deadlines and are within budget;
- To edit all in-house publications including articles, blogs, website contents, transcripts and reports of events;
- Develop communication materials for outreach activities (one-pagers, brochures, flyers);
- Oversee and provide quality-control of translation of publications together with the Communications & Advocacy Manager (C&A Manager);
- To work with SRCM and C&A Manager in designing a clear advocacy strategy for AREU publications;
- To ensure that accurate records are kept for all outsourced editing, translation, graphic design, web-related and printing services;
- To facilitate the publications team in helping to prioritize and balance various tasks.
- To identify capacity gaps and training requirements within the publications team, and to seek ways of addressing these gaps;
- To produce monthly, quarterly and annual reports of the C&A Department (with C&A Manager); produce statistics generated on the C&A activities and use of publications from the website;
- To prepare quarterly reports for and support in organizing Board of Directors meetings;
- Managing organisational monthly reports by all departments.
- Keeping the publications and contact lists up-to-date.
Work with the SRCM on the following tasks including digital content:
- Writing periodical articles, editorials and blogs on AREU’s research findings for major local and international media;
- Editing descriptive text for the research newsletter;
- Work with SRCM on developing ideas for podcasts and video interviews and be responsible for their production;
- Proficiency in podcast and video production, editing audio and video content for quality, and uploading them to the AREU website and social media platforms;
- Reporting all digital content produced including audience statistics;
- Ability to write sharable content both in short and long form and for social media posts;
- Being resourceful, meaning that if you do not have the answer you go out and find the solution.
- Masters (or Advanced) Degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or other relevant field;
- Familiarity with AREU’s publications and their production, or equivalent experience with working with the editing, translation, layout and printing of publications elsewhere;
- Ability to edit print and digital content in short and long form;
- Proficiency in podcast, video production and editing software (e.g.: Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop). Graphics production is desirable, but not a must;
- Experience using video management platforms such as YouTube and Vimeo. Ideally, the candidate will have directly used YouTube, Facebook and other platforms to publish videos and know what delivers results (and what does not work);
- Ability to self-manage and archive all production work (file management must be superb);
- Knowledge of publication layout, including Adobe InDesign software;
- Knowledge of design and design principles, especially in print media and electronic media;
- Familiarity working with printers, ideally Kabul-based printers (which have their own particularities);
- Strong communication and teamwork skills;
- Strong written English language skills are required; Dari and Pashto language proficiency is an advantage but not a must
- Ability to facilitate discussion and build a team in a collegial (rather than “top-down”) manner;
- Sense of humour and ability to cope with stress;
- Enthusiastic, energetic, creative and willing to share unique ideas and insights;
- Strong time management skills, ability to multi-task and have workflow management skills to ensure deadlines are met while working on several projects at once;
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality;
- Proficiency in managing and working with websites is a must.
- Should me be familiar with InDesign.
- May be required to work beyond office hours periodically to organize or manage special initiatives or workload;
- The position is based in Kabul.