Full Time Temporary Contract
Since 1877, The Fresh Air Fund has unlocked the limitless potential of 1.8 million New York City children from low-income communities. Each year, nearly 7,000 children enjoy outdoor summer adventures through visits with volunteer host families along the East Coast and Southern Canada and at The Fund’s five overnight camps in Fishkill, NY. Fresh Air children also participate in year-round leadership and educational programs.
The Fresh Air Fund is recruiting teachers for an innovative, 6th Grade, Camp-Based Summer School.
In response to impact of summer learning loss on low-income children and its evidence on the achievement gap, The Fresh Air Fund has designed an innovative summer program that couples rigorous academic instruction with learning and enrichment. We are looking to hire New York Certified teachers to teach classes in core content areas within a Humanities framework of English Language Arts and Social Studies lessons, and Mathematics and Science utilizing a rich framework in STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math lessons.
- Provide morning classroom instruction for 2 hours per day, plus 1 1/2 hour of prep time at camp
- Participate in 3 professional development days including a classroom set up day at camp
- Implement summer curriculum and manage student learning and formative assessments
- Supervise project based learning activities and student portfolios
- Support students through project based learning and open-ended inquiries
- Facilitate students as they explore learning objectives and produce a final project and a summer portfolio which meets and/or exceeds the NYC Department of Education’s learning standard and promotional requirements
- Certified teacher in the State of New York (NYC Preferred)
- At least 2 years of teaching experience
- Specialization in English, Math, Science, and/or Humanities
- Ability to work from July 9 – August 3
- Ability to attend three professional development days (dates TBD) including classroom set up at camp
- Experience and/or excitement about project based/inquiry learning
The Fresh Air Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Room and board is available.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be processed as they are received. Due to the large number of applications received, we will only reach out to applicants that we wish to schedule an interview with.