Employment Type: Full-time, Regular, Non-exempt, At-Will Compensation:
Reports to: Communications Director
Location: Oakland, California; this job may be worked from a remote location
Deadline: Open until filled. Qualified applicants will be screened and advanced on a rolling basis.
Forward Together is looking for a skilled Media Strategist to ensure that women and non-binary people of color and Indigenous people can tell the truths of our lives and build political power. This is a unique opportunity to be a strategic partner at one of the leading organizations in the country advancing change at the intersection of race, gender and sexuality.
Who We Are
Forward Together transforms culture and policy to work for all of us nationwide. Since our founding in 1989, we have continually fought to dismantle the ways our society marginalizes us based on race, sexuality, and gender. Today, we build courage and foster connection among our multi-racial community of changemakers to secure the rights, recognition and resources all families need to thrive.
Across our country, and in our organization, we envision communities where we are all at home, where we take care of and respect each other, and where everyone is better off. We value the shared leadership of people of color, women, immigrants, LGBTQ+ and Indigenous people in building this future. Find out more about us at forwardtogether.org.
The Media Strategist builds and manages relationships with media makers and reporters; pitches and places stories that shift narratives and advance campaigns at the state and national level; and codevelops communications strategies across Forward Together programs.
You are perfect for this position if…
- You prioritize the lives of women and non-binary people of color – and have actively lifted up and centered these voices in your professional work.
- Media strategy is your middle name –You love matching the right story with the right media audience to build momentum for social justice.
- You rock intersectionality – Advocacy and organizing at the intersection of race, gender and sexuality is your home.
- You excel at building relationships. You've built broad networks of media professionals who know you to be a thoughtful and have impeccable follow-through.
- You like to laugh. Change work can be hard. You can laugh at yourself and with others in difficult times.
- Supports the Communications Director in developing high-level media strategy with a focus on increasing positioning for Forward Together and its programs.
- Implements media strategies including: monitoring, pitching, and responding to media requests.
- Researches and establishes relationships with reporters and media outlets.
- Draft press statements in coordination with relevant staff
- Works with program teams to integrate media relations and communications goals.
- Serves as communications lead for 3-5 programs and campaigns including co-development of frames and messages and writing Op-Eds or similar communications.
- Assists with story collection, collateral writing and production, and social media implementation.
- Managing Forward Together’s Twitter account
- Represents Forward Together in conference and event spaces.
- Actively participates in all staff team-building activities including Courageous Practice. Courageous Practice includes a mind/body approach to strategy and movement building—for more information, check out this video.
- Commitment to Forward Together’s mission and social justice.
- 3 years experience in media relations.
- Enjoys and is willing to spend significant time pitching.
- Strong writer and editor
- Ability to work well in teams and use direct communication to express needs and priorities.
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds.
- Highly organized and systematic, with excellent time and project management skills.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, web browsers, Gmail, Google Calendar, Salesforce and the basics of database and conferencing software.
- A willingness to learn through trial and error.
- Flexible and comfortable in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities.
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English.
- Ability to travel for 3-5 days at least six times per year.
Full benefits and generous PTO
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and verbal skills in English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
People of color, queer, transgender, gender nonconforming people and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE.
Please send cover letter (including where you heard about the position), resume, writing sample, list of media coverage you have secured and 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Medial Strategist”.
No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.