4816 SE 92nd
VISTA VOLUNTEER POSITION
Career Pathways Vista position
Portland YouthBuilders is a small alternative high school and career development program dedicated to serving low-income young people, ages 17-24, who want to transform their lives. PYB’s focus is on helping students to complete high school and prepare for post-secondary education, obtain vocational skills, become critical thinkers and community leaders, develop viable career pathways, and succeed in placements in post-secondary education and/or employment in preparation for launching careers.
The Career pathways VISTA will provide assistance to the Placement and Advancement Team members to develop career development resources to benefit PYB’s students.
The Career Pathways VISTA position is a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer position. We are seeking someone who is inspired by our mission of helping young men and women transform their lives through learning and service. An interest and passion for helping youth through service is a must.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Reports To: Placement and Transitions Team (PAT) Manager
Schedule: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Position Starts: April 16, 2018, but candidate must be selected by mid-March. Mandatory VISTA Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) training starts the first day of service.
Compensation: AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance ($14,136 before taxes/year in Portland, OR, based on the local poverty level), a monthly bus pass, and health benefits during their service. VISTA members also have the option of receiving a $5,920 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or a $1,803 stipend after completing their term of service. There are a variety of other benefits such as eligibility-based childcare assistance, relocation allowance, and federal non-competitive status.
SUMMARY OF BROAD AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
· Assist and support Placement and Transitions Team in creating career development tools/templates such as career development plans and career exploration lesson plans
· Develop new and expand existing employer relationships to promote student placement
· Expand and coordinate mock interview program to prepare students for internship and employment interviews
· Data Entry as needed
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
· GED or High School Diploma; Bachelor’s Degree preferred
· Valid Driver's License and a good driving record (for the purposes of insurance coverage)
· Reliable transportation required; access to a car preferred
· Experience working in an office environment including the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software
· Some evening and weekend work may be required
· Strong writing skills required
· Excellent communication skills and attention to details
· AmeriCorps VISTA eligible
· Ability to pass pre-employment criminal background check and drug testing
· Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: email resume and cover letter to Mary Hegel, AmeriCorps Contracts Coordinator, email@example.com. Please include “Application for PAT VISTA” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
Portland YouthBuilders’ mission connects us to people and communities across Portland. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other classifications applicable by law. Portland YouthBuilders is committed to the diversity of our people, programs and services. The organization acts affirmatively in the employment and advancement of qualified people of color. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY1-800-735-2900
PYB employees must successfully complete a criminal background and drug test check prior to employment. Portland YouthBuilders is a Drug Free Workplace and adheres to the requirements of the Drug Free Workplace Act. Portland YouthBuilders’ students and staff are subject to random drug tests.
- This program is funded 28% through a Federal award of $1.1 million from the U.S. Department of Labor – ETA for the YouthBuild Program Initiative.
- This program financed in whole (or in part) with funds provided through Worksystems, Inc. from the U.S. Department of Labor.
- PYB is an AmeriCorps program and students who are AmeriCorps members are eligible for an education award.
<img src="https://:0/" height="64" width="64">