Details: Salary is based upon the candidate’s experience and qualifications in line with the organization’s budget.
Reporting to the CEO, the Communications Director develops and leads a multi-faceted communications strategy to advance the strategic goals of the US Water Alliance. The Communications Director will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of activities relative to the brand, positioning, and strategic direction of the organization. This position oversees the US Water Alliance’s varied and integrated communications products and services including: targeted communications campaigns; our suite of print publications; annual reports; several websites, digital communications, and social media platforms; media and public relations; and marketing. The goal is to advance the organization's position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization.
Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance US Water Alliance’s brand identity, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities, and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Create marketing and public relations plans to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Work with CEO, staff, and Board to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Oversee development of all US Water Alliance print communications, collateral materials, and electronic communications including US Water Alliance website and social media
- Manage relationships with associated consultants and vendors
- Serve as lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding US Water Alliance special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Prepare and/or manage staff and consultants in the development of talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including workplan development, production schedules, budgeting, planning, and staff development
- Manage staff and consultants to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance, continuous learning, and commitment to high quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, policy, or related field is required; Advanced degree is preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a communications management role
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing strategic communications, media relations, and marketing programs to advance an organization's mission and goals
- A successful track record of communicating on water, environment, infrastructure, or related issues
- In depth experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Creative and thoughtful on using new media technologies
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Persuasive communicator; exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with members, funders, and Board of Directors
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs; energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive
- Passion for US Water Alliance’s mission
Excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, vision and dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
English - fluent
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications Director Application” in the subject line of your email.
The US Water Alliance is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace.