Special Education Teacher for High School English and/or Social Studies
- Job posted by The Marin School
Full Time Contract
Details: Compensation based on experience
150 N San Pedro Rd
Position: Special Education Teacher for High School English and/or Social Studies
Reports to: Head of School
Position Status: 80-100% time, Faculty, Exempt
The Marin School, an independent college-preparatory high school in San Rafael, California, seeks a English Teacher for the school’s Program for Academic Success. The Marin School seeks an experienced candidate in differentiated instruction to work collaboratively with the Director of Learning Services to serve students with diverse learning styles.
The school’s Program for Academic Success (PAS) was created to better serve students with mild to moderate learning differences, to ensure each student's scholastic and personal success. Class size for PAS is small by design (6-8 students) to allow teachers to fully understand their students and give teachers the ability to personalize their instruction with experiential learning, innovative lessons and non-traditional, yet effective, learning opportunities.
- Teach students who need additional support in English and/or Social Studies, specifically reading comprehension, critical literacy and writing skills in modified courses.
- Collaborate with the Director of Learning Services on an ongoing basis to refine and implement a strong curriculum that meets the needs of all students.
- When indicated, participate in collaborative meetings with parents, teachers, educational resource staff and appropriate administrator to develop social/emotional/educational plan for students.
- Committed to issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Participate in aspects of student life at TMS such as advising clubs, Outside the Walls and student organizations.
- Masters degree or credential in Special Education
- Has 3+ years of successful English and Social Studies teaching experience with students who have learning differences. Independent school teaching experience preferred
- Understands and enjoys working with students with diverse learning needs
- Has an engaging, strategies-based teaching style and is competent with assistive technology
- Values collaboration and innovation in teaching practices and enjoys being part of a team
- Demonstrates skills in communication and interpersonal relations within and across multiple constituencies
- Believes in restorative justice as an effective means of classroom management
- Finds joy in working with students, is kind, and possesses a healthy sense of humor
- Training as a reading intervention specialist or in writing instruction helpful
The position will begin on August 17, 2018
Medical, dental, 403(b), Life and Long-Term Disability
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for four references to firstname.lastname@example.org. EEO. No phone calls please.