11 Dupont Circle Northwest
District of Columbia
Alliance for Justice (AFJ) is a national association of more than 100 organizations dedicated to advancing justice and democracy. For almost 40 years we have been leaders in the fight for a more equitable society on behalf of a broad constituency of environmental, consumer, civil and women’s rights, children’s, senior citizens’ and other groups. AFJ is premised on the belief that all Americans have the right to secure justice in the courts and to have our voices heard when government makes decisions that affect our lives.
AFJ’s seeks a Development Associate who will be responsible for providing support to the Development staff, including Vice President, Manager of Foundation Relations, Individual Giving Manager, and Senior Database Manager.
- Accurately maintain calendar of all development activities, including foundation deadlines, letters of inquiry, applications, proposals, and reports;
- Research foundations and individuals, including philanthropy news and trends;
- Research and prepare briefing memos on foundations and individuals;
- Draft and send gift acknowledgment letters;
- Oversee processing and routing of foundation grant agreements and contracts;
- Assist the Foundation Manager with drafting foundation proposals and grant reports including supplementary materials;
- Serve as secondary support for Foundation contacts;
- Assist Manager of Individual Giving with fundraising events including annual luncheon, gala, and other events as needed;
- Backstop Director of Administration with state charitable registration filings;
- Work with Development Team managers and AFJ President to schedule internal and external fundraising meetings and calls;
- Prepare meeting materials, including briefing documents, relevant articles, etc.;
- Serve as occasional back-up for Receptionist/Senior Database Manager for clerical tasks including answering main line phone, responding to general inquiries, donation processing, etc.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- 2-3 years’ experience in a development position, preferably with a nonprofit organization;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Excel;
- Knowledge of database software programs preferred such as DonorPerfect, Salsa, and/or Salesforce
- Strong written communication skills;
- Outstanding attention to detail and deadlines;
- Resourcefulness and ability to think independently;
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem-solving skills to resolve issues;
- Strong professionalism with the ability to function efficiently in a busy, fast-paced environment;
- Ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision.
AFJ provides a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance plan such as medical, prescription, optional dental, flexible spending account and life and disability insurance, as well as commuter benefit and retirement programs.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants please reference Development Associate in your subject line and submit a letter of interest. resume and writing sample to Alicia Peyton at firstname.lastname@example.org:
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
AFJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AFJ prohibits discrimination against its employees and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, sero-status and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.