The Director of Planning and Housing Development is a full time position that, under
supervision of the Executive Director, plans, coordinates, and directs all
activities of Los Sures’ Real Estate Development Department staff and
consultant team, including architects, engineers, construction contractors,
attorneys, and financial consultants integral to the affordable housing
development process. Tasks cover a wide range and include project programming
and design, site acquisition, underwriting, financing, construction
administration, and operation start-up. In addition to supervising all housing development
staff, the Director participates on the agency Executive Management Team, initiates
new development projects and supervises existing ones. The Director coordinates
development policy issues with the Executive Director.
- Meets with and reports to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors on a regular basis to review development activities and general development issues. Communicates financial risk and
- related information to the Fiscal Director, and coordinates with the Directors of Property Management, Tenant Services and Finance with start up operations.
- Develops short and long term plan for Real Estate Development department in coordination with the Executive Director and Management Department; drives the department to carry out the plan,
- adhering to milestones and adjusting as needed
- Manages the concept, site selection, feasibility, due diligence, finance, construction and operation of current and future real estate acquisitions and developments
- Coordinates the hiring of the design team and other specialized consultants and is also responsible for overseeing the work of these consultants (contractors, architects, engineers, and other consultants) to plan projects related to design, entitlement, permitting, acquisition due diligence and closing activities
- Oversees all elements of project financing. Reviews development-related payment requests, budgets and accounting reports, requests for proposals, and contracts. Monitors development budgets; underwriting and forecasts cash flows.
- Initiates and evaluates new development opportunities. Together, with subordinate development staff: evaluates potential sites to determine feasibility, negotiates purchase agreements, and secures financing for new projects.
- Oversees management of development projects and performs all related tasks.
- Participates in fund development activities.
- Leverages existing public, private, for-profit and nonprofit relationships to source new development opportunities
- Formulates and coordinates development policy, goals and budgets.
- Manages Development team staff, delegating project responsibilities and identifying opportunities for professional development, training and participation in relevant city-wide coalitions and groups
- Performs outreach duties and public relations work as needed; attends neighborhood and community meetings.
- Participates on the Executive Director’s Management Team; coordinates with other departments. Attends Los Sures Board meetings.
- Performs other departmental and organizational tasks as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
- Assist in Investor Relations activities as required
- Develops and trains staff on departmental procedures including project tracking, filing, and reporting
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience with affordable and/or supportive housing
- Master’s degree in real estate, urban planning, architecture or equivalent preferred
- Knowledge of building design and construction
- Proven experience managing staff and working in coordination with other departments
- Strong knowledge of federal, state, city, local and private funding sources
- Proven ability to work effectively with low-income, diverse, multi-ethnic populations
- and a strong commitment to equitable community development
- Excellent interpersonal and business communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work well with diverse stakeholders, partners, city agencies, financial and legal consultants
- Ability to prepare and analyze financial documents including underwriting and pro-formas
- Proven ability to research and incorporate new housing development strategies, including energy efficiency and sustainability measures
- Strong computer skills, including facility with word documents and spreadsheets
- Proven ability to take initiative, develop and follow a vision and plan for development
Southside United HDFC- Los Sures is an Equal Opportunity Employer