The National Young Farmers Coalition (NYFC) seeks a full-time, Sacramento-based California Policy Associate to develop and implement strategic grassroots initiatives in California. The key responsibilities of this role will be to oversee state policy campaign research, development, and implementation; represent NYFC among partners, coalitions, and the California Legislature and agencies; and train NYFC members in advocacy tools. This position reports to the Western Program Director.
NYFC represents, mobilizes, and engages young farmers to ensure their success. We envision a country where young people who are willing to work, get trained and take a little risk can support themselves and their families in farming. In order to achieve this vision, we are building a coalition of farmers, ranchers, and supportive consumers of all racial, ethnic, social, and economic backgrounds. NYFC strongly encourages women, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, and people of color to apply.
Responsibilities will include:
- Support the strategic development and implementation of NYFC grassroots state policy campaigns in California in close partnership with the California Organizer and NYFC policy team;
- Conduct in-depth policy research and create and update policy whitepapers;
- Develop and update NYFC’s California state campaign plan based on the CA Young Farmer
- Platform, NYFC farmer-members and chapter engagement;
- Lead NYFC members in advocacy, including facilitating farmer policy and advocacy trainings, advocacy days, and in-district meetings with farmers and elected officials;
- Elevate policy objectives through outreach activities, such as regular communications with members and partners, and writing press releases and op-eds;
- Track, attend, and testify before key committees;
- Work closely with the California Organizer to cultivate farmers to take action with NYFC;
- Represent NYFC on key coalitions, councils, and committees, and invest in long-term partnership and coalition development with advocacy groups, services providers, government staff, and more;
- Pursue modifications to existing legislation, propose new legislation, and recommend changes to program administration to achieve policy objectives
- Partner closely with members of the NYFC policy team to identify opportunities to bring supportive policy to other states and federal policy reform
The candidate must:
- Strongly identify with NYFC’s Mission, Vision and Guiding Principles;
- Have demonstrated commitment to equity and experience working with diverse communities;
- Have experience with federal and/or state policy analysis;
- Have at least two years experience crafting and implementing legislative campaigns;
- Be bold and willing to meet new people and make introductions to farmers, elected officials, business owners and funders;
- Be highly organized with a strong attention to detail;
- Be an excellent and creative communicator with diverse audiences, both in writing and in front of groups;
- Be invested in grassroots, farmer-driven policy change;
- Take initiative to identify and carry out the work that needs to be done to a high standard of excellence;
- Be self-directed and able to work independently while also being a strong team player;
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Be based in Sacramento.
NYFC offers a competitive benefits package, including health and dental insurance.
Minimum Education Required