HR Specialist – Compensation and Benefits
1828 L Street NW
Pay Band: 3 Program Officer/Coordinator, starting salary range $45,000 - $47,000
American Councils for International Education is a premier, international nonprofit creating educational opportunities that prepare individuals and institutions to succeed in an increasingly interconnected and rapidly changing world. Through academic exchanges, overseas language immersion, data-driven research, and educational development programs, American Councils designs and administers innovative programs that broaden individual perspectives, increase knowledge, and deepen understanding.American Councils employs a full-time professional staff of over 400, located in the U.S. and in 24 countries of Eastern Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
The HR Specialist ensures employees are aware of, and are able to fully utilize, the numerous benefits available; assists with any problems or concerns, ensures the administration of benefits plans conforms to ever-changing regulations; assists with annual renewal and open enrollment periods, and audits and processes all invoices and bills in a timely manner to ensure continuous coverage. The position is responsible for coordinating FMLA, COBRA, and worker’s compensation claims.
Compensation duties include collaborating with hiring managers to set starting salaries, benchmarking positions against market data, coordinating annual employee pay increases, and ensuring pay data is accurate in the HR database. The position reports to the Director of Human Resources and, as one of four team members, assists the Human Resources Department with all other HR initiatives as needed.
- Ensures employees are aware of and get the most from the comprehensive benefits plans available
- Collaborates effectively with the Payroll Acccountant to identify and correct benefit deduction issues, including a bi-weekly audit of all benefit deductions
- Process and reconcile monthly benefit invoices, ensuring appropriate coverage and payment
- Coordinates, administers, and monitors all benefits programs
- Advises staff on benefits and explains rules, policies, and regulations related to benefits.
- Coordinates meetings designed to help employees obtain information and understand company benefits (new hires and open enrollment).
- Oversees and administers on-line enrollment process for new hires, COBRA participants, employee events/changes, terminations and annual open enrollment
- Assists employees with enrollment and any benefits issues, coordinating with vendors when needed, and providing timely resolutions
- Collaborates effectively with benefits vendors, carriers, brokers and other third-party vendors, to ensure a positive relationship and resolve any data issues, errors and make corrections as needed
- Oversees and monitors the COBRA process through third-party vendor
- Assists with the preparation of all benefit materials and correspondence and distributes to employees (new enrollment kits, FMLA, COBRA, etc.)
- Administers FMLA leaves, ensuring appropriate documentation is received and collecting payment for voluntary benefits when needed
- Receives Workers' Compensation claims and ensures appropriate processing through insurance plan
- Ensures HRIS files, records, and reports relating to benefits are accurately maintained
- Audits benefits regularly to ensure compliance with plan documents
- Completes salary surveys in order to receive discounts on final products
- Assesses and benchmarks individual positions as needed to ensure pay equity within the organization and in relation to the market
- Coordinates the annual salary increase process
- Evaluates and updates pay bands annually
- Two years experience in human resources or benefits administration
- College degree preferred, or a combination of education and experience to enable success in the role
- Outstanding attention to detail; meticulous with data
- Organized and consciensious, able to follow up on all issues and concerns quickly and thoroughly
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of employee information and handle with discretion
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills required to effectively handle benefits issues
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Understanding of HR/payroll information systems and online benefits sites
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY: Select this link and follow the prompts: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/index.php?/job/apply&clientkey=58AA089E0E2C786B7FE4217373F3BCBD&job=9361&jpt=
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – American Councils is committed to taking affirmative steps to enhance employment opportunities for minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities, and strives to ensure that meaningful employment and promotional opportunities are maintained for everyone. American Councils’ commitment to equal employment opportunity is based not only on federal requirements, but also on a longstanding commitment to maintaining a diverse workforce reflective of the communities in which we operate.
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.