Part Time Temporary Contract
Details: STARTING RATE $25/HR
610 West 112th street
Liberty LEADS is a NYC-based college access program that has been serving over 200 underrepresented youth between 5th and 12th grade each year since 1989. Liberty LEADS was founded to empower youth by helping them attain higher education, embrace leadership engagement, and create a positive future for themselves and others. Liberty LEADS provides an alternative learning environment in which young people can experience success as learners and increase their ability and motivation to graduate from high school and seek entry into postsecondary education and/or meaningful employment. The program is guided by the principle that all children have gifts, talents, and great potential and can contribute to one another's social and academic growth.
The Summer Institute will explore the theme of “Hidden Knowledges.” The activities students will take on throughout the summer program will highlight group work, collaboration, and community while developing critical social justice lens through math skills and logic thinking. Instructor should facilitate a Math-based course that challenges students further and expand their numeracy and analysis skills. Examples of successful proposals have included: Gentrification in Harlem, Population Changes, Family Budgets, Basketball Probability and the Perfect Triangle.
Programming begins July 2, 2018 and will meet the first week Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (Wednesday July 4th National Holiday),and continues for the remainder of July meeting Monday through Thursday. Required hours are 9:00 am to 3:30pm. All applicants must be able to work the entire program and willing to accompany students on field trips. Salary is commensurate with experience and available funding. Mandatory Teacher Orientation & training will take place in June, date TBA.
- Create and follow through on a proposal and curriculum
- Provide individual support to students
- Provide step by step instruction in small group setting (10-15 students)
- Employ successful classroom and behavior management skills
- Collaborate with 9th grade level instructors
- Reflect upon practice with supervisor daily and adapt to challenges
- Participate/ chaperone student outings
- Bachelor or Graduate degree in related field
- Experience working with 9th Graders in an after school, leadership program, summer program or school setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of child development
- Experience planning and implementing curriculum in group settings
- Experience running activity based adolescent groups a plus
- Compensation commensurate with experience
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please forward cover letter and resume to:
Marisol Saks, Operations Manager - Banks Street College of Education - Liberty Leads
email@example.com & apply through the Bank Street website. Street New York, NY 10025