99 Gansevoort Street
The Whitney seeks an Administrative Assistant for the Visitor Experience Department. The Administrative Assistant will deliver effective and efficient administrative support to the Director of Visitor Experience and the Visitor Experience Department, with additional responsibilities supporting the Director of Retail and Manager of Visitor Experience.
- Manage the administration service for the Visitor Experience Department and ensure that efficient and effective systems and processes are in place to enable its smooth running.
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Visitor Experience, including calendar/diary management, correspondence, and telephone calls.
- Assist Visitor Experience Managers in administering department budgets, including processing invoices, keeping accurate records of commitment and expenditure, reconciling transaction reports and assisting with the annual budget setting process and reforecasting.
- Provide administrative support to the Volunteer Program, including assisting with correspondence, knowledge provision, scheduling and appreciation events.
- Provide administrative support to the Retail department, including assisting with processing orders and maintaining inventory records.
- Support the Gallery Assistants, Visitor Services, Security and Retail Managers with the administration of recruitment, training, and induction of new staff.
- Support the planning and execution of quarterly all Visitor Experience Team Meetings and staff training resources.
- Ensure that accurate records are kept for Visitor Experience staff relating to overtime, holidays, attendance, sickness absence and ensure information is passed on to Human Resources as required.
- Act as a main point of contact for the Visitor Experience Department internally and externally.
- B.A. (art and/or hospitality background preferred)
- 2 years administrative experience
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, fluency in MS Office Suite
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Genuine interest in and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining efficient administrative processes
- Friendly, outgoing and takes initiative
About the Whitney
The Whitney Museum of American Art, founded in 1930 by the artist and philanthropist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, houses the foremost collection of American art from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. From her vision arose the Whitney Museum of American Art, which has been championing the most innovative art of the United States for 86 years. The core of the Whitney’s mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit American art of our time and serve a wide variety of audiences in celebration of the complexity and diversity of art and culture in the United States. Through this mission and a steadfast commitment to artists themselves, the Whitney has long been a powerful force in support of modern and contemporary art and continues to help define what is innovative and influential in American art today.
The Whitney Museum of American Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Museum does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, partnership status, veteran status, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. The Museum hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. The Museum encourages all qualified candidates to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
The Whitney is a great place to work and offers an excellent benefit package including health insurance, generous paid time off, a 403(b) retirement plan, and free admission to many museums in New York City and nationally.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete an application located on the Museum’s website: https://whitney.org/About/JobPostings