20123 Disbursement Specialist, Washington D.C.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States | FINANCE | Full-time
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Disbursement Specialist for the Finance team. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Disbursement Specialist is an integral part of the Finance team’s daily disbursement activities, supporting NED’s international grantmaking program and democracy support activities.
Initiating payments for approved vendor and grantee disbursement requests via domestic and international wire transfers, ACH, and check; communicating with NED’s banking partners to quickly resolve any issues with international payment delivery; maintaining electronic records and performing invoice transaction entry in the accounting and grantmaking systems; maintaining banking instructions in several online financial institution platforms; and general financial recordkeeping duties.
- Processes vendor payments authorized by the Accounting team on a semi-weekly basis (i.e. trade vendors, consultants, employee reimbursements, etc.) and supports the Grants Disbursements Specialist with the daily grantee payment cycle.
- Updates vendor electronic records in the accounting system, maintains beneficiary records in several online banking platforms, and initiates daily wire and ACH transfers for management approval.
- Ensures payments are processed timely by actively problem-solving any issues encountered.
- Interacts and communicates with financial institutions, external vendors, and NED staff as needed to research and resolve all banking issues related to delayed, rejected or returned wires and ACH transfers in a timely manner.
- Alerts Finance management to any internal or external issues that may arise, and proactively addresses the root cause to avoid similar situations with other beneficiaries receiving similar payments in the same country or currency, local banking institution, etc.
- Enters transactions into the accounting system’s purchasing module, either by direct invoice entry and/or by preparing a purchase invoice summary import template for upload.
- Updates the grant management system with applicable payment data to inform grantmaking staff of grant payment status.
- Maintains the organization and completeness of file documents, including performing scanning and record retention duties, as well as providing general assistance with records filing and archiving as may be required.
- Assists with retrieving disbursement documentation necessary for audit preparation and response.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with major in Accounting preferred.
- 2+ years of relevant experience; non-degreed applicants with 6+ years of relevant experience will also be considered.
- Strong working knowledge of electronic funds transfer management, to include international transfers and domestic ACH and wires.
- Demonstrated experience with use of various online banking systems. Experience with WUBS Global Pay and/or Edge platforms a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of robust double-entry accounting systems, specifically related to purchasing and payables, with Microsoft NAV Serenic Navigator experience a plus.
- Efficient in use of Microsoft Office products including Outlook, Excel, and Word.
- Other Qualifications:
- Strong communication skills with ability to effectively convey financial and banking matters both verbally and in writing to non-financial staff.
- Proven analysis skills for effective problem solving.
- Solid documentation skills, ensuring proper audit trail.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Paramount professional integrity, honesty, initiative, confidentiality and dependability.
- Commitment and ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly professional demeanor, with strong interpersonal and customer service skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff.
- Ability to manage high workload cycle times successfully; works effectively under time pressure and meets deadlines.
- Keen attention to details and accuracy in all work products.
- Confidence in addressing policy and procedure compliance questions.
- Capability and willingness to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures.
- Flexibility in approach to work processes and tasks with the ability to adapt to process change quickly.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references. Please, no phone calls. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.