Details: Commensurate with experience + incentive earning potential
200 West Superior Street
External Relations Manager
- Type: Full time, salaried
- Start Date: ASAP
- Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday 9:00 am –5:30 pm, Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand
- Location: 200 W. Superior, 3rd floor, Chicago, IL 60654
Greenheart International is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit committed to connecting people and planet to create a more peaceful and sustainable global community. We achieve this through a unique and diverse collection of programs fostering cultural exchange, eco-fair trade, volunteerism, personal development and environmentalism. Greenheart encompasses four main branches: Greenheart Exchange, Greenheart Travel, Greenheart Shop, and Greenheart Transforms.
The role of the External Relations Manager is to exercise their passion for the cultural exchange industry through collaboration with staff and stakeholders, while building relationships. ‘External Relations’ refers to both public relations, as well as Government relations. The focus of this role is to positively raise the visibility of the Greenheart brand and to ensure a favorable viewpoint on the cultural exchange industry. If you are passionate about advocacy, have amazing work ethic, and are an excellent writer, this job may be a fit.
The External Relations Manager should enthusiastically approach the following responsibilities:
- Advocacy: Assisting VP of International Exchange establish meaningful external relationships with leaders (elected and appointed) and their staff, and the media
- Coordinating visits, meetings, and events that highlight exchange programs for key stakeholders
- Messaging via press releases, op-eds, advocacy resources, website content, newsletters, etc.
- Monitor and research relevant legislation for information concerning cultural exchanges and other activities that affect Greenheart International.
- In cooperation with the VP, identifying which policy positions resonate with whom and why, and communicating those positions effectively; Tying engagement with success metrics
- Liaise with other departments to ensure that right internal staff is involved, consulted, and engaged
- Develop and provide information and materials to assist and support the goals and objectives of GH.
- Attend outreach and visibility meetings
- Liaison to the Alliance for International Exchange, along with VP and CEO
- Work with marketing and outreach to amplify our efforts to ensure that stakeholders are aware that we have an active role in steering advocacy and shaping policy in favor of our community.
- General: Assisting VP of International Exchange with:
- Industry analysis
- Represent VP at departmental meetings when necessary
- Draft email correspondence, presentations, and business proposals when necessary
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Clear dedication to cultural exchange and a passion for learning about other cultures
- Acute understanding of language and the power of messaging
- Strategic thinker who can see connections between policy and personalities
- Quick study who is able to understand core policy issues and how they are perceived by a range of people, and develop them into an easy-to-digest format for various stakeholder groups
- Highly organized person who is collaborative, proactive, positive, engaged, self-reliant, independent, flexible, efficient and with a keen attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple priorities exceptionally and be able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Superior professional presence and composure
- At least two years of experience in government relations, media relations, the cultural exchange industry, experience with J1 visas and/or the USA immigration system
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, and Slides)
- Must be able to travel frequently, sometimes with advanced little notice. Candidates must have a valid US Passport or the ability to attain one within 30 days.
- Preferred: management experience and ability to speak a second language
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Sound likes the perfect fit? Tell us WHY by filling out the application below or sending your resume and customized cover letter in PDF format to Courtney Guengerich, Human Resources Generalist, at HR(AT)greenheart(DOT)org. A cover letter is required for your application to be considered.
Due to the amount of applications processed, we ask that you do not call Greenheart International regarding this position. All qualified applicants will be contacted.
Greenheart International is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran.