The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) seeks a Marketing Manager - Free Speech and Open Inquiry (FSOI) to support a growing community of university scholars across the country in advancing a better understanding of the principles of classical liberalism--including a free and open society, free speech and open inquiry--and helping them to flourish on college campuses.
The Marketing Manager-FSOI is largely responsible for campaigns aimed at students and scholars within the academy with the main objective of aligning our brand with the connections and career-bolstering potential of our programs, partnerships, seminars, and mentorships. Envisioned as a strategic, internally-facing position, the Marketing Manager will provide strategic support to our IHS communications and marketing team as well as serve as the lead marketing and communication strategist, catalyst, and conduit for our FSOI team.
This position is part of a team of 'embedded' communications and marketing professional supporting different teams at IHS. Together, this dynamic team is responsible for shaping and guiding the on-the ground coordination of the teams they are supporting and with each other. Reporting directly to the Senior Director of Marketing, the ideal candidate will be able to balance a solid understanding of the organizational priorities with the tactical demands of their clients while identifying opportunities and solutions on a rolling basis.
This Marketing Manager will not only understand the needs and nuances of the teams they support; they will also understand how their efforts support the larger vision, strategy, and objectives of the organization. The ideal candidate will enjoy using analytical data to shape successful campaigns and use measurable results to inform the next step of the process.
- Serve as a key voice in the development, implementation, and measurement of a strategic communications plan for the IHS FSOI team that focuses on elevating its mission and purpose to external audiences.
- Establish clear lines of communication and collaborative partnership with the other members of the Marketing and Communication team.
- Manage the day-to-day collaborative and ongoing flow of the marketing and communications needs for the team they support.
- Leverage the capabilities of the creative team and manage the workflow expectations around all digital deliverables as well as video, graphic design, print materials and more.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate a record of success in developing and leading dynamic, marketing and communication campaigns.
- Smoothly implement new initiatives with a focus on strategy and innovation.
- Have experience in creating a cohesive, forward-facing communications and marketing strategy.
- Possess excellent writing, editing, and communication skills, with the additional ability to write persuasively and quickly.
- Thrive under pressure, with a keen attention to deadlines and strong organizational skills.
- Be deeply familiar with communications across multiple channels and platforms and speak best practices as a second language.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of Free Speech and Open Inquiry to use for marketing strategy.
Position Requirements and Preferences
- Five to seven years professional work experience in communications/public relations/journalism/content strategy
- Experience in and passion for higher education a plus, but not required
- Relevant degree in communications, business, English, etc. Undergraduate degree required, graduate degree in relevant field preferred
- Strong understanding of Free Speech and Open Inquiry is preferred, but not required.
Founded in 1961, IHS is a nonprofit educational organization that works with college students and professors around the country to advance understanding of the principles of a free and open society. IHS offers educational programs, scholarships, mentoring, and faculty-development support that help college students and professors contribute to a freer, more prosperous, and more humane world.
IHS provides exceptional benefits to all employees, including health and dental insurance coverage (which includes paying 100% of the health and dental insurance premium for individuals), health savings accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit and 12 free tuition credit hours annually at George Mason University.
Minimum Education Required