Details: 50,000 - 60,000 annually
1125 North McCadden Place
JOB SUMMARY: The Managing Editor plays an integral role in the Marketing & Communications team of the world’s largest LGBT organization by providing management and support across all communications work to accurately reflect the Los Angeles LGBT Center’s (Center) brand and represent its programs, services, events, campaigns, and activities. The ideal candidate is an exceptional and quick worker who also is creative, self-motivated, detail-oriented, personable, passionate about the Center’s work, and familiar with issues and concerns related to the LGBT community.
1) Lead the development, production, writing, editing, proofing, and publication of content for all communications materials;
2) Ensure brand fidelity across all communication materials;
3) Effectively manage Communication team’s workload, including deadlines and deliverables;
4) Communicate the Communications team’s needs, challenges, and successes to other team members, managers, and directors;
5) Identify benchmarks and goals and report on Communication team’s work and progress, with support from Operations Manager;
6) Working with Operations Manager, develop and manage procedures, policies, standards, and best practices for Communications team’s work;
7) Manage outside vendors;
8) Collaborate to develop skills across all team disciplines, including aspects of photography, videography and video production, administration, creative services, media relations, social media, and communications. Includes related procedures, software, hardware, and equipment;
9) Engage and participate with team in assigned roles during breaking news, special event, and crisis coverage;
10) Actively participate in team brainstorming, planning activities, and meetings;
11) Lead daily full-team meetings on a rotating basis as assigned;
12) Schedule and lead Communications team meetings and represent Communications team on overall Marketing & Communications department management team;
13) Professionally represent the Center at internal and external community and stakeholder-related meetings, functions, events, and activities;
14) Identify and complete professional development opportunities and activities focused on skills and management progression;
15) Other duties as assigned;
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1) Experience working with the LGBT community and familiarity with issues of particular relevance to LGBT people.
2) A passion for the Center’s work and its mission to make the world a better place for LGBT people;
3) Proven track record of communications team leadership with demonstrable experience in media relations, social media, and written communications;
4) Minimum 2 years of management experience, ideally for a nonprofit organization;
5) Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
6) Ability to translate ideas into communications materials for specific internal and external audiences;
7) Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, website content management systems, and social media platforms;
8) Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with a strong attention to detail;
9) Proven ability and experience working in a collaborative team environment with a strong customer-centric focus;
10) Familiarity with issues related to the LGBT community and a passion for the Center’s work and mission;
11) A creative and detail-orientated self-starter who can work quickly and independently in a fast-paced campaign environment, managing multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines;
12) Willing and able to work evenings and weekends, when necessary.
13) Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities, socio-economic backgrounds, religions, ages, English-speaking abilities, immigration statues, and physical abilities in a multicultural environment.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, Employee
Assistance Program, and voluntary 403B Retirement Plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or submit a cover letter with application/resume to:
Los Angeles LGBT Center, Human Resources Dept., 1625 N. Schrader Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90028