2550 Ninth Street
Essential Access Health (Essential Access) is seeking a Director of Communications to lead the organization’s strategic communications activities and public awareness initiatives. Individual is responsible for increasing awareness about Essential Access Health’s mission, programs, and services among target audiences throughout California and across the country. The successful candidate will be a part of a collaborative public affairs team and will work closely across departments to provide in-house communications support and guidance and ensure brand consistency in all internal and external communications. Learn more at www.essentialaccess.org.
Essential Access is a statewide organization that champions and promotes quality sexual and reproductive health care for all. Essential Access achieves their mission through an umbrella of programs and services including advanced clinical research, provider training, clinic support initiatives, advocacy and consumer awareness. Incorporated in 1968, Essential Access has offices in Northern and Southern California with 60 employees and an organizational budget of $25 million.
Essential Access funds family planning and reproductive health services for low-income and uninsured clients through nearly 60 health care organizations collectively, operating more than 351 health centers serving more than one million women, men and teens annually in 37 of California’s 58 counties. As the sole administrator of California’s leading Title X (ten) federal family planning program, the nation’s largest Title X system, Essential Access’ provider network includes a broad spectrum of service organizations, including federally qualified health centers (FQHCs), city and county health departments, stand-alone family planning health centers, school-based clinics and community health centers.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop short and long-term communications plans and success indicators to ensure that communications activities effectively advance strategic goals
- Direct media relations, secure media placements, maximize media opportunities, and track media coverage and metrics
- Oversee Essential Access Health’s social media presence and strategic growth in followers and engagement
- Lead marketing activities to promote key programs and services among target audiences to increase participation and users
- Direct strategies to grow traffic to online resources housed on essentialaccess.org, teensource.org, and talkwithyourkids.org and ensure that content is up-to-date, user-friendly, shareable and optimized for search engines
- Create digital and print content and materials that reflect the organization’s brand identity and style guide
- Draft internal and external messaging and presentations for the President and CEO and other members of the Executive Leadership Team, as needed, and train staff on organizational messaging and brand identity
- Develop and launch new strategic communications and public awareness initiatives and platforms to promote our mission and priorities
- Serve as organization’s lead editor to ensure excellence in all external communications
- Manage communications program budgets and consultants
- Support submission of grant reports related to communications activities and help secure funding to enhance and sustain strategic communications efforts
- Direct other projects and functions as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job.
- Minimum of 8 years related work experience in marketing and communications, with increasing responsibilities, experience in health field preferred
- Measurable record of success in the area of marketing and communications
- Deep commitment to ensuring access to sexual and reproductive health care for all
- College degree, with a focus on marketing and/or communications preferred
- Outstanding writing, editing and proofreading skills (applicants must provide writing samples)
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong graphic design skills and comfort using design tools and other technology platforms
- Experience leveraging media/social media to expand organizational visibility and reach
- Ability to effectively lead projects forward and work collaboratively across departments
- Experience successfully managing diverse and complex projects simultaneously with resourcefulness, attention to detail and creativity
- Ability to adapt quickly to change and adjust well to shifts in priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Proven track record taking initiative and looking for ways to consistently improve processes and work flow
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines
- Must be able to travel up to 10% within California
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume and salary requirements to:
Essential Access Health
Attn: HR Department
3600 Wilshire Blvd., Ste. 600
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Essential Access offers a competitive salary + benefits. Essential Access is an M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluently bilingual in English and Spanish, preferred.
Minimum Education Required