1014 Torney Avenue
Tides is a foundation and nonprofit partner committed to building a world of social justice and shared prosperity. Founded in 1976, Tides’ works at the cutting edge of today’s biggest challenges, with a focus on equality and human rights; a sustainable environment; healthy individuals, families, and communities; and education. Tides’ services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org
The Senior Accountant – Social Venture role works as part of a team of 8 accountants, providing direct client support and addressing the accounting needs of our fiscally sponsored organizations. Reporting to the Accounting Manager – Fiscal Sponsorship, this role assists our clients in achieving their mission by supporting their financial processes including, budgeting, financial reporting and forecasting, and grant management for foundation and governmental funds.
The Senior Accountant – Social Ventures is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide excellent customer service related to accounting, reporting, grant management, budgeting, and analysis including consistent accounting treatment of all transactions and timely, accurate reporting
· Ensures that the daily financial and accounting functions are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and all applicable regulatory requirements including those set forth by the Federal Accounting Standards Board, and legal rules and regulations for nonprofit operations designated as IRS 501(C)(3) and 501(C)(4) organizations
· Provides documentation for the federal and state tax return preparation, and supports annual financial audits and single audits (OMB A-133) as needed including agency monitoring visits, and ensuring “audit readiness” of assigned grants
· Approve all cash disbursements for project caseload and monitor project cash flow to ensure compliance with funder regulations and Tides cash management policies
· Participate in monitoring of financial compliance issues and grant guidelines
· Summarizes and forecasts project revenues, expenses, and cash flows based on past, present and expected results
· Prepares and presents financial statements and related reports, including balance sheets, income statements, cash-flow reports, budgets, and variance analysis to projects, and external and internal management team as required
· Participates in evaluating, improving and documenting policies and procedures related to fiscal sponsorship financial services
· May be required to train and/or guide other team members
· Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Experiential knowledge of FAR, CFR and relevant OMB circulars as well as GAAP/FASB standards.
· Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of client satisfaction
· Demonstrated ability to effectively work with a diverse team, with attention to collaboration and working collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
· Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
· Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work related duties
· Self-motivated and organized with attention to detail
· Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to be both diplomatic and confident
· Proficient in enterprise-wide accounting systems such as NetSuite, Blackbaud Financial Edge or Microsoft Dynamics
· Proficiency with MS Office suite of products
· Proven track record of maintaining effective internal controls and developing efficient financial policies and procedures
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills as well as the ability to see the big picture while understanding the details involved and the ramifications of the decisions made
· Proven ability to organize and support work flow processes that ensure high degrees of accuracy and accountability within team members
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Accounting or related field or equivalent is required
· 3+ years relevant experience working in a similar position
· Non-profit accounting and government grant management experience strongly preferred
Why work for Tides:
· Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision, matching retirement plan contributions (up to 5%), Basic life insurance and Basic AD&D and LTD for all eligible employees.
· All employees start with 3 weeks vacation, receive 12 paid holidays, and enjoy 2 additional optional holidays per year in observance of other holidays and one birthday holiday.
· Competitive non-profit salaries
· Flexible work arrangements to make you comfortable including outdoor patio work areas, comfy work/lounge space, standing desk options, cubicles and open or private work spaces.
· We have incredible clients and partners both domestically and internationally who are working towards a world of shared prosperity and social justice.
· We are serious about promoting sustainable commute options, including a free shuttle to and from downtown San Francisco and award-winning bicycle infrastructure, including secure bike parking, locker rooms, and bike share program.
· Tides has a bi-coastal presence: Tides’ San Francisco offices are located in a National Park with views of the Golden Gate Bridge. Tides New York office is right across the street from the New York Stock Exchange building.
· Tides has a robust staff engagement program, including regular cultural celebrations like a Chinese New Year pig roast and Black History Month film outings.
· The work is awesome, the people are awesome and we think there’s no better place to make an impact.
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume must include a cover letter expressing your interest in working to support Tides and why you are qualified for this job. To upload your cover letter, add the file to the Attach Documents section at the end of the online application. No phone calls please!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=thetides&jobId=154316&lang=en_US&source=CC3