Title: Audit Accountant
Based in Washington, DC
Reports to the Senior Manager, External Audits and Reporting
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 40 countries Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
The Finance department supports the Global operations of PSI. This includes operations in 60+ countries. Donors including the United States Government, other foreign governments, international organizations, corporations, and private philanthropists come together to support PSI's mission. The financial and reporting requirements of each donor are accounted for within this department.
We are looking for an Audit Accountant to help us navigate through the diverse group of donor assurance requirements. This position helps ensure that the assurance needs of the donor are being met, as well as supporting the remediation of Finance improvements, and the needs of internal PSI users of financial information.
The role will be responsible for dissemination of audit requests to field offices, and ensuring completeness, acting as a bridge between PSI and external auditors in this effort. We seek an individual familiar with GAAP who can apply PSI policies and procedures and identify potential deficiencies that could arise in audits. The Audit Accountant will maintain the status of various audits and keep management abreast of unresolved issues. The role requires an innovative individual ready to find efficiencies in various processes and adhere to deadlines for all the audits managed from the DC office. Additionally, the Audit Accountant will train the Audit intern as needed and perform other special projects as they arise.
You have a penchant for organizing data, meeting deadlines and working in a diverse and fast-paced environment.
Sound like you? Read on.
PSI seeks highly skilled applicants for the position of Staff Accountant to provide support to PSI's global mission.
- Assist in coordinating PSI's annual consolidated and Single audits
- Assist in coordinating PSI's various donor mandated audits and providing support on In-Country statutory audits as needed
- Manage audit request items (PBC) list for consolidated single, and donor audits
- Assist in preparing and reviewing audit schedules for correctness and consistency
- Coordinate field submission of audit samples
- Act as liaison between PSI staff and external auditors
- Assist in preparing schedules for 990 and 990T
- Providing training to the audit intern on the external audits co-ordination process
- Prepare annual surveys, external financial requests and data collection forms as required
- Assist in oversight of financial information submitted monthly by the field office
- Assist in miscellaneous administrative support and other duties or special projects as assigned
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI's corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You'll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won't be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it's the only way you'll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You'll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won't succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
Our ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance, CPA or equivalent preferred
- 3+ years of audit experience, accounting experience in financial reporting, non-profit or public accounting environment
- Solid working knowledge of major ERP, inventory and accounting systems, preferably Info/Lawson
- Understanding of US GAAP and internal controls
- Ability to link internal policies and procedures to audit documentation
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel as well as MS Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint).
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written, including the ability to work in a team environment, interact with senior management and individuals with varying degrees of financial knowledge
- French speaker highly desired
- References will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship and relocation expenses will not be covered for this position.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
The successful candidate will have an interactive nature; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities; attention to detail; and excellent organizational abilities. Preference will be given to candidates with exposure to Lawson or other large-scale enterprise resource planning systems.
*Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
Minimum Education Required