1101 West River Parkway
The Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA or Arlington, VA, preferred. Location Negotiable.
The Finance Specialist provides excellent support to the North American Region in accounting and financial activities. They administer and maintain finance/accounting activities in accordance with TNC policies and procedures and best practices in financial management, and are responsible for expeditiously and courteously responding to, routing, or resolving inquiries and requests from internal and/or external customers. They will work towards meeting the strategic priorities of the team by supporting the development and implementation of a financially sound private award process from the proposal creation to administration in the Project Costs and Billing module and finally to reporting. They will provide recommendations and targeted training related to the use of private awards. They will prepare timely and accurate reports and forecasts, and monitor and prepare budgets. They will communicate reports to audiences with varied levels of financial knowledge. They will adapt finance-related processes and implement recommended practices in order to improve the efficiency based on their in-depth understanding of related policies and procedures. They will be responsible for ensuring TNC standard operating procedures are understood and followed, and maintaining and retaining records in accordance with TNC policy and division best practices. This ideal location of the position is Minneapolis, MN but it is negotiable. The position reports to the Director of Finance-North America.
Responsibilities and Scope
● Supports in preparing/processing various transactional accounting forms and reports, such as journal entries and adjustments
● Act independently within broad program goals across multiple projects to prioritize tasks in the absence of specific instructions and exercise independent judgment to identify and solve problems.
● Does not supervise any staff , but will lead meetings with project managers and guide their process in relation to administration of private awards.
● Manage projects with several variables, set realistic deadlines, manage a timeline, and ensure accountability.
● Provide oversight for key financial functions of the team, such as proposal budgeting and private award administration.
● Maintains excellent knowledge of TNC corporate policies and procedures, and work to identify needed improvements to established policies in keeping with the underlying principles.
● Ensure compliance with TNC policies and procedures, and especially the various external private award requirements
● Creates and maintains reference materials, training materials and provides guidance to staff regarding private award work-flow process.
● Supports Division’s varied tasks as needed (i.e. approve assigned invoices, communications, etc.)
● Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 3 years' related experience or equivalent combination.
● Experience using accounting and financial reporting systems.
● Experience communicating reports, working plans, and accepted procedures to audiences with varied levels of financial knowledge.
● Experience with GAAP and fund accounting principles, practices and regulations
● Ability to manipulate, analyze and interpret data
● Experience designing and implementing complex data management solutions in an unstructured environment.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Strong excel skills
● Strong attention to detail, high level of accuracy in work products.
● Good business acumen and analytical skills
● Good problem-solving skills.
● Experience applying organizational skills, including establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
● Technical experience with spreadsheet programs, general ledger reports and financial management tools
● Experience with accounting/financial issues and analysis.
● Motivated by working in a fast-paced, deadline driven, team environment
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply to position number 46947, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. Please upload your resume and cover letter in PDF format. Unless you experience technical difficulty, please DO NOT utilize the resume copy & paste feature.
All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on November 2, 2018.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.