Immigration Legal Services Supervisor
263 West 38th Street
The IRC in New York helps refugees, immigrants, and other community members achieve thriving, self-sufficient lives through a continuum of programs and services including refugee resettlement, immigration legal services, adult education, economic empowerment and youth programs.
Job Overview: The Immigration Supervisor will provide oversight to the IRC in New York Immigration team, providing both high-quality immigration legal services to refugees, immigrants, and other community members while also overseeing the unit and supervising the Immigration Caseworker and interns.
Responsibilities: Include, but are not limited to:
- Provide daily supervision of the immigration staff member
- Supervise all legal, administrative and programmatic activities of the Immigration team.
- Serve as the point person for all legal review of immigration cases; provide technical assistance to Immigration Caseworker
- Responsible for completion of immigration forms including: I-485 Adjustment, I-130 Immigrant Visa Petitions, N-400 Naturalization, I-864 Affidavit of Supports, I-601A Provisional Waiver, and others.
- Direct the coordination of group processing events and integration of technology into practice
- Supervise and manage utilization of volunteers and interns
- Work closely with the national Technical Unit team and other field offices as part of the IRC immigration network
- Pursue BIA-accreditation, attending all necessary training if necessary (internally offered)
- Responsible for the design and implementation of departmental strategic planning, business planning, trainings and workshops, advocacy and outreach strategies and other support activities.
- Manage advocacy and outreach activities via public speaking and presentation opportunities to clients, business, law schools, other organizations and partners
- Represent IRC at immigration-related meetings and events in the community
- Stay apprised of immigration law and best practices; ensure immigration staff receive frequent, appropriate training to stay up to date on immigration law and practice
- Collaborate with IRC in New York senior management team members, and provide guidance on immigration related issues to all IRC staff in order to guide resource development and programmatic guidance;
- Ensuring timely and accurate compliance to all reporting requirements.
- Other duties as required.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Executive Director
Position Directly Supervises: Immigration Caseworker
- BA required, MA and/or LLM a plus
- Previous BIA accreditation preferred (if applicable)
- Must have expert knowledge of US immigration law, policies, and procedures.
- 4-6 years experience with immigration petitions and applications, specifically refugee-related (i.e. adjustment of status, naturalization and family petition).
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience preferred.
- 3-4 years of program or project management with a demonstrated ability in a leadership role
- Experience organizing and facilitating immigration workshops and immigration information sessions.
- Experience working with vulnerable populations including refugees and asylees.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills; detail-oriented; multi-tasker
- Demonstrated expertise in legal research, proposal writing and report complications.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and communication skills; flexible approach to work and team building.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal guidance.
- Fluency in oral and written English, second language skills are a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications and Internet research.
Working Environment: Standard office environment
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply please visit https://rescue.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=rescue&id=929