425 Lafayette Street
The Public Theater is seeking a highly skilled Director of Mobile Unit to join their artistic staff.
The Public Theater’s Mobile Unit breaks down economic and geographic barriers to the arts by meeting our communities where they are, staging free professional theater productions in local neighborhood venues such as libraries, homeless shelters, and community centers across all five New York City boroughs. This reimagining of Mobile Theater is inspired by Ten Thousand Things Theater in Minneapolis, MN.
· Lead artistic planning related to Mobile Unit Local and National and other artistic projects as assigned ranging from intimate to large scale programming.
· Oversee national growth across programs to ensure deliberate community building.
· Oversee all aspects of Mobile program ensuring alignment with Public Theater brand and strategy.
· Build collaborative relationships and engagement activities with a wide array of communities and audiences.
· Cultivate contributed revenue for Mobile Unit Local and National projects.
· Manage Mobile Unit operations, program budgets and facilitate cross-organization support, line-produce the events.
· Provide focus and prioritization in a landscape of multiple and concurrent commitments.
· Maintain key external relationships: artist, MU venues and agencies, Board, donors.
· Provide organization leadership. In association with other program directors ensure The Public Theater thrives artistically and financially.
· Manage Mobile Unit Associate Director and National Program director
· Leverage and externalize learning programs. Identify shared resources and curricula across programs.
· Create and support cadre of artists participating in cross-program activities
· Comprehensive knowledge of theater.
· Comprehensive understanding of Public Theater mission, strategy and programming
· Creative development skills - the ability to communicate with the artistic director, directors, and other artists in a successful manner
· Program management skills: strategy, audience development, administration
· Ability to manage among multiple concurrent projects with competing and unpredictable schedules
· Excellent social skills and awareness of protocol
· Communication skills: particularly public relations/public speaking
· Relationship management skills
· Analytical thinking and problem solving
· Budget management skills
· Performance management skills
About The Public:
The Public Theater is theater of, by, and for all people. Artist-driven, radically inclusive, and fundamentally democratic, The Public continues the work of its visionary founder Joe Papp as a civic institution engaging, both on-stage and off, with some of the most important ideas and social issues of today. Conceived over 60 years ago as one of the nation’s first nonprofit theaters, The Public has long operated on the principles that theater is an essential cultural force and that art and culture belong to everyone. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Oskar Eustis and Executive Director Patrick Willingham, The Public’s wide breadth of programming includes an annual season of new work at its landmark home at Astor Place, Free Shakespeare in the Park at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park, The Mobile Unit touring throughout New York City’s five boroughs, Public Forum, Under the Radar, Public Studio, Public Works, Public Shakespeare Initiative, and Joe’s Pub. Since premiering HAIR in 1967, The Public continues to create the canon of American theater and is currently represented on Broadway by the Tony Award-winning musical Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Their programs and productions can also be seen regionally across the country and around the world. The Public has received 59 Tony Awards, 169 Obie Awards, 53 Drama Desk Awards, 54 Lortel Awards, 32 Outer Critic Circle Awards, 13 New York Drama Desk Awards, and 6 Pulitzer Prizes.
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
This is an Exempt position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and available immediately.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum Education Required