Director of Family Services - Early Childhood/Daycare
- Job posted by Lutheran Social Services of New York
475 Riverside Drive
LUTHERAN SOCIAL SERVICES OF NEW YORK
POSITION: Director of Family Services
REPORTS TO: Executive Director for Early LIFE Services
LOCATION: Various (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan)
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time
EXEMPT/NONEXEMPT: Exempt - Management Team
The Director of Family Services supervises LSSNY’s team of Family Services Coordinators (FSCs), as they serve the families of children enrolled at LSSNY’s Early LIFE preschools (Early LIFE Centers) and home-based day care (Family Child Care (FCC) Network). The Director of Family Services supervises the FSCs in planning and implementing Parent, Family and Community Engagement services; in creating individualized Family Partnership Agreements with parents and guardians; and in making home visits in accordance with Head Start requirements. The Director of Family Services also supervises the Early LIFE Mental Health Consultant (MHC) and serves as a community liaison.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Hire, train and coach FSCs in the Head Start Family Service model and program requirements.
- Train FSCs to conduct home visits for enrolled families, on schedule and in accordance with program model.
- Ensure that FSCs maintain organized family files and other records.
- Review and track individualized Family Partnership Agreements.
- Ensure that FSCs review and track children’s attendance and follow up on absences on the first day of absence.
- Monitor files and workflow of the FSCs to ensure optimal service delivery.
- Assist Site Directors and FSCs in organizing, facilitating, and conducting meetings and training sessions with parents, including Parent Committee and Policy Committee meetings.
- Train parent representatives of Parent Committee and Policy Committee.
- Organize and participate in inter-agency meetings.
- Participate in community boards, councils, advisory groups, etc.
- Attend required trainings and meetings.
- Identify community resources for Early LIFE families.
- Oversee the development and updating of Community Resources Directory.
- Submit accurate, timely reports as required.
- Ensure confidentiality of records of families and children.
- Coordinate with Site Directors and FSCs with regard to eligibility, recruitment, selection, enrollment and attendance.
- Coordinate with Assistant Executive Director in the recruitment of children with disabilities.
- Supervise the Mental Health Consultant in provision of mental health consultation and referrals for children and families.
- Work with the MHC to train staff in managing and changing behaviors and handling crises.
- Implement quality assurance measures for Family Service provision at all Early LIFE Centers and FCCs throughout New York City.
- Visit Early LIFE Centers on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Represent Lutheran Social Service of New York’s mission, values, ethics, and upholds agency Code of Conduct at all times.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- MSW or Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field
- Three years’ supervisory experience in social work field or a related field.
- Experience in child welfare preferred.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong time management skills, able to handle multiple tasks and assignments at once.
- Available to work on some holidays and weekends (particularly to accommodate families).
- Proficient in internet navigation, E-mail, and Microsoft Word.
This position description contains the major responsibilities required to perform this job. These responsibilities may change at any time to meet the needs of our clients, residents or agency.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send all cover letters and resumes to:
Patricia Eckford-Jackson | Peckford-jackson@LSSNY.ORG
Beatrice Hutcherson | Bhutcherson@LSSNY.ORG
[with "Director of Family Services" in the subject line]
----LSSNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer----