Details: Salary commensurate with experience. Based in New York City with occasional travel required.
The New York State Association for Affordable Housing (NYSAFAH) seeks an External Affairs Director to support the association’s public affairs, lobbying and membership initiatives, with particular emphasis on developing partnerships with the New York City Council, New York City Mayoral administration, New York City lobbying firms, and housing groups in New York City. The EAD will also meet extensively with board members and developer members to solicit feedback and support NYSAFAH’s member relations efforts.
- Anticipate, identify, and advocate for legislative, regulatory and policy issues of interest to NYSAFAH in the New York City Council, Borough Presidents’ offices and city housing agencies.
- Cultivate positive working relationships with public and elected officials in New York City and their staff on behalf of NYSAFAH and maximize NYSAFAH’s visibility as the affordable housing policy resource.
- In collaboration with the President, Policy Director, and Board of Directors, support the development of a proactive policy agenda to advance in New York City.
- In collaboration with NYSAFAH PAC, help develop campaign targets and represent NYSAFAH at New York City fundraisers.
- Develop opportunities to communicate the organization’s mission and impact and build awareness and visibility with existing and potential stakeholders.
- Support membership recruitment and engagement initiatives to strengthen and broaden NYSAFAH’s membership in targeted geographic areas of New York City.
- Develop robust relationships with members and initiate networking and educational opportunities in New York City; maintain member data in an easy to access and use format to be easily shared and used as an additional affordable housing resource.
- Actively work to develop and engage housing coalition partners.
- Support the planning and coordination of the organization’s annual affordable housing conference.
Excellent benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
English; Spanish a plus
Education and Experience
- Minimum three years’ experience in New York City government or government affairs required.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters’ degree preferred.
- Excellent written, verbal, and oral communication skills essential.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills critical, especially regarding persuasiveness.
- Basic computer skills including knowledge of all Microsoft Office systems – Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint – and a strong attention to detail and ability to handle difficult situations.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Please regard your resume as having been received unless your email is bounced back. NYSAFAH is an EOE.