247 W 35th Street
Functions: Service Delivery
LOCATION: must be within NYS or NJ (preferably located in Hudson Valley or Newark Metro Regions)
ABOUT EL Education
EL Education is a leading K-12 education non-profit that is meeting the national challenge to raise student achievement. Combining challenging work with the joy of discovery and pride in mastery, EL offers the education we would want for every child: one that prepares citizens with both the skills and the character necessary for success throughout college, work and life.
Our portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on 20+ years of success in more than 160 EL schools, serving 4,000 teachers and 53,000 students in 31 states and Washington D.C. Based on founding principles of meaningful work, character and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement, regardless of student background.
In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world. For more information, visit http://eleducation.org.
About the Position
EL Education is seeking a Professional Development Specialist. This position includes strategic and tactical support to districts and school in implementing our student-engaged assessment practices, and our Comprehensive K-5 Literacy Curriculum. This position plays an integral role in EL Education's vision of expanding our reach further into the highest need areas of the educational landscape. The PD Specialist works in four to eight schools and two to four districts, collaborating with a team of EL Education coaches and regional leadership. This position reports to the Regional Director, NYS/NJ.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Build relationships with partner schools, including school leaders, school-based coaches, teacher leaders, and teachers.
- Intentionally cultivate relational trust with all stakeholders by demonstrating respect, integrity, competence and a personal regard for others.
- Collaborate positively and effectively with program partners to ensure a full understanding of district and school goals and outcomes and the roles and responsibilities of all involved.
- Effectively coordinate and manage professional learning and coaching schedules with school partners to maximize on-site time and fully support school leaders and teachers. Ie: Gather data and information about program school structures (schedule, calendar, etc.)
- Communicate proactively and frequently with school partners to ensure continuity in between on-site visits.
- Provide thought-partnership and capacity building support to school leaders to ensure impactful professional learning and implementation of curriculum.
- Flexibly to problem-solve issues related to professional learning and curriculum implementation at any given school/district site.
- Support, celebrate, and report on achievements of district / school goals and milestones.
- Communicate regularly with Regional Director regarding curriculum implementation and professional development impact.
- Work as a member of a high-functioning team to build capacity and monitor progress in schools by providing professional development and curriculum implementation tools to school-based coaches and lead teachers, along with their associated building principals and colleagues in multiple formats:
- Face-to-face professional development institutes in large group settings.
- Virtual professional development (synchronous and asynchronous).
- Building capacity in school-based coaches by coaching alongside them through walkthroughs and feedback cycles, modeling lessons, and solving implementation dilemmas.
- Partnering with building leaders and leadership teams to monitor and adjust strategy to achieve goals.
- Providing turnkey training and materials.
- Other formats as required.
- Work as a member of a high-functioning regional team.
- Develop creative, interactive face-to-face and virtual experiences that model the engagement and practices expected in EL Education classrooms.
- Ensure professional quality through sharing successes and challenges, an open response to feedback and application of new learning.
- Collaborate with colleagues to solve problems of practice, create efficiencies, and commit to an organizational norm to continual improvement.
- Maintain superior records related to service delivery and impact.
- Maintain records related to types of services provided and audience impacted.
- Collect and/ or support the collection of data related to program satisfaction and impact.
- Communicate effectively with program partners regarding services provided.
- Maintain accurate personal records such as timesheet and travel log.
A successful candidate will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and proven commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive practices.
- A Master's degree in education, education leadership, or related field.
- Applicants must be familiar with the EL Education ELA curriculum for grades K-8; experience with leading the implementation of the curriculum is preferred.
- Five or more years of relevant work experience - Proven experience and deep expertise in teaching and learning, and instructional coaching around specifically Primary and Intermediate Level literacy instruction, delivering professional development, backwards planning, and the implications of the CCSS instructional shifts.
- Personal characteristics that enable the candidate to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds.
- Skill and experience in word processing, PowerPoint, Prezi, Blackboard Collaborate, and other professional development tools.
- An ability to manage complex tasks and timelines independently and proactively while working from home / away from direct supervision.
- Experience and willingness to work with virtual teams across different geographical sites.
- Exceptional organization, verbal, and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Capacity and willingness to learn quickly.
- A high degree of integrity, flexibility, and good humor.
- Experience managing multiple projects and tasks with stellar results.
- Availability and willingness to ebb and flow with high intensity work flow.
- Willingness to accept feedback; devotion to continuous growth.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% for service delivery and internal, organizational events (ie. National Conference, Staff Gathering)
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply through our website.The anticipated start date for this position is December 15, 2018. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Minimum Education Required