Taproot Foundation, a national nonprofit, drives social change by connecting nonprofits with skilled volunteers through pro bono service. Taproot is creating a world where mission-driven organizations have full access—through pro bono service—to the marketing, strategy, HR, and IT expertise they need to thrive. Visit our website to learn more: taprootfoundation.org.
The Head of Finance and Administration is responsible for the effective, efficient, and strategic management of Taproot’s financial and administrative functions and collaborates closely with the Human Resources department. The position serves as part of the internal leadership team and is instrumental to Taproot’s continued success. The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional with proficiency in nonprofit financial management and fund accounting, financial reporting and analysis, nonprofit governance, and operations management. This position will report to the CEO and supervise a Staff Accountant.
Finance and Accounting
· Accounting: Manages the accounting, cash, and payroll functions, including general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and cash flow. Oversees revenue recognition and tracking of restricted funds while ensuring compliance with GAAP standards, regulatory requirements, and other policies and best practices.
· Budget and reporting: Leads the annual budgeting process in collaboration with the management team. Maintains timely and accurate financial statements, forecasts, and budget reports. Monitors financial performance and works with the CEO to determine corrective actions as needed throughout the year.
· Audit and tax: Leads the preparation and review of year-end audited financial statements and federal and state filings in conjunction with independent auditors and an outsourced state charity registration consultant.
· Treasury management: Negotiates and manages working relationships with financial & banking entities and negotiates appropriate credit lines.
· Governance: Functions as a staff representative to the Board Finance and Audit Committees, working closely with President in preparing financial materials for Board review. Responsible for presenting financial statements to the Board and its committees and responding to related inquiries & requests for additional information/analysis.
· Compliance: Develops and maintains appropriate internal control processes to ensure accountability and transparency of financial operations. Ensures that recordkeeping and record retention in the organization complies with applicable laws, regulations, and contractual obligations. Ensure compliance with all government regulations, including employment, charitable registrations, and lobbying.
· Risk management: Oversees insurance portfolio including D&O, E&O, property, liability, and cyber.
· Facilities: Oversees the management of all leases, facilities-related contracts, and other financial commitments.
· IT Management: Oversees IT and computer policies, security, resources, software, connectivity, and support in-house or through an IT support vendor.
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting or Minimum of seven (7) years of demonstrated progressive management-level experience in financial management. Demonstrated strong financial planning and analysis skills, with knowledge of GAAP, nonprofit accounting standards, and revenue recognition standards.
· Experience with fund accounting (e.g., FundEZ) and CRM (e.g., Salesforce) software. Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
· Strong written and verbal communication skills accompanied by an analytical and problem-solving mindset and an ability to stay organized and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
· Track record of success in developing a collaborative working environment (within an office and remote) and implementing systems within finance and accounting that promote accountability and streamlined processes.
· Commitment to fulfilling job duties with integrity and honesty, building collaborative partnerships with colleagues, and exercising sound judgment that reflects organizational values.
· Personal or professional passion for Taproot’s mission and a desire to play a leadership role at a collaborative, inclusive, and highly effective organization.
Taproot Foundation, a national nonprofit, drives social change by connecting nonprofits with skilled volunteers through pro bono service. Taproot is…