20th Street and 6th Avenue
Heartbeat Opera invites applications and nominations for the position of Marketing Director (part-time consultant).
From the drama at the core of each work, Heartbeat Opera grows vivid theatrical worlds through revelatory adaptations, radical rearrangements, and ingenious design. Through an inquisitive collaborative process with a diverse community of artists, we break down traditional barriers to reimagine opera for artists and audiences of the twenty-first century.
Founded by Ethan Heard and Louisa Proske, two stage directors and graduates of Yale School of Drama, Heartbeat Opera creates radical adaptations of classic operas in intimate venues for 21st century audiences. In its first four groundbreaking seasons, Heartbeat has established itself as “one of the most agile and dynamic companies on New York's indie opera scene” (Opera News), presenting eight fully-realized, critically-acclaimed productions in Manhattan, four beloved Halloween Drag Extravaganzas in Brooklyn, a special sold-out performance on The High Line, and two staged workshop productions. Praised as “bold and vivid” (The New York Times), “vital and heartbreaking” (The New Yorker), and “ingenious and artful” (The Wall Street Journal), Heartbeat’s work has captured the attention of the opera world in New York and beyond. Heartbeat has also collaborated with organizations such as Atlas DIY and A BroaderWay to bring arts education to underserved students in the New York City area. More info at heartbeatopera.org.
The Marketing Director of Heartbeat Opera, reporting to the Co-Artistic Directors and Managing Director, will oversee the promoting of Heartbeat’s productions, events, and activities. S/he will help grow the audience of this cutting-edge, ambitious company by telling Heartbeat’s story through strategic advertising, promotions, collaborations with other organizations. Specific tasks and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage all advertising: print, social media, radio, podcast etc.;
- Attend each of Heartbeat’s productions;
- Design a marketing strategy for Heartbeat’s overall season and individual events;
- Research potential partners for cross promotions;
- Collaborate with graphic designers to create advertising and marketing materials;
- Collaborate with Press Representative on event listings and PR opportunities
- Provide monthly reports detailing spending and efficacy of advertising;
- Collaborate with Box Office Manager on ticket discount services like TDF and TodayTix and papering;
- Oversee Heartbeat’s Mailchimp communications and mailing list;
- Oversee Heartbeat’s website;
- Oversee Heartbeat’s Social Media Manager;
- Attend frequent meetings with the Co-Artistic Directors and Managing Director;
- Be a vocal representative and advocate for Heartbeat Opera to the global community of Heartbeat’s audience members, funders, and strategic partners.
The Marketing Director will report to the Co-Artistic Directors and Managing Director.
The ideal candidate will be an ambitious and energetic collaborator who combines a passion for the performing arts with relevant experience in not-for-profit arts organizations. To apply, s/he must:
- Have a BA and at least two years of work experience;
- Possess strong organization, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Have excellent bookkeeping skills;
- Be creative and self-motivated while attentive to the overall vision and direction provided by the Co-Artistic Directors and Managing Director.
The preferred candidate would also:
- Have an MFA and/or 1 year of professional experience in marketing;
- Have experience writing, strategizing and executing email marketing campaigns;
- Have experience securing media ads and working with ad platforms including Facebook;
- Have excellent supervisory skills and a track record for mentoring and developing staff;
- Be fluent in Google Suite, Mailchimp, YouTube, Squarespace;
- Love music, theater, and opera.
Heartbeat Opera is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Part time. Currently, Heartbeat produces 3 full productions per season (September to June) plus 2-4 special events. The Marketing Director must reside in NYC full time and be available to meet in person occasionally at our Chelsea office. Work can usually be done remotely and will usually take up 5-8 hours per week. During the production weeks surrounding our shows and events (8-10 weeks per year), workload may increase to 8-15 hours per week. Start date is as soon as possible.
Monthly consulting fee, commensurate with qualifications.
Please prepare a cover letter that states your specific interest in Heartbeat Opera and outlines your qualifications for the position. Submit with a résumé and contact information for three references. Interviews begin in November. Email email@example.com.
Minimum Education Required