58 East 68th St
The Art Director of Foreign Affairs magazine is responsible for overseeing all aspects of design and layout in Foreign Affairs and ForeignAffairs.com. Founded in 1922, Foreign Affairs is the preeminent publication on international affairs and U.S. foreign policy. It is published by the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), which is a leading independent, nonprofit membership organization and nonpartisan center dedicated to producing and disseminating foreign policy ideas.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
• Working with the editors to conceptualize the magazine’s covers, commissioning illustrators or designers to execute them, and overseeing the process from sketches to final art
• Overseeing the layout and design of the print magazine
• Consulting on the design and layout of ForeignAffairs.com and other digital/multimedia content
• Selecting and editing photos
• Producing and/or sourcing infographics and maps
• Managing the relationship with our printer on issues involving layout, color correction, and so on
• Serving as the point person for a potential print redesign
• Skilled in Adobe Creative Suite, with mastery of InDesign and Photoshop
• Technical understanding of both print and digital design
• At least four years experience in art direction and design, primarily in magazine publishing
• Bachelor’s degree in design or related field (at minimum)
• An impressive portfolio showcasing deep art direction experience
• Ability to translate abstract concepts into graphic visualizations
• Connections to/relationships with a large pool of freelance illustrators and designers
• Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
• A collaborative (and inspiring) manner
• Clear communication and presentation skills
*Candidates should submit a link to their portfolio in their application materials.
The Council on Foreign Relations offers a benefits package that is among the best offered by nonprofit institutions today, including an award-winning health and wellness program, an on-site fitness center, and generous leave policies and health insurance programs.
Minimum Education Required