300 Water Street
The High School Specialist promotes college awareness and visibility of advisory services to school staff, students and parents while coordinating college advisory services within their assigned high school.
- Attends school faculty meetings, School Improvement Team (SIT) meetings, school open house events, College Information and Financial Aid nights, and other outside meetings as necessary.
- Plans and organizes in school, evening or after school college access programs such college fairs, Parent Empowerment night, or Scholarship night.
- Identifies, encourages and assists students with information regarding education options beyond high school, including institutional choice, career options, admissions and financial aid.
- Advises students about college entrance exams and test preparation resources. Assists students with test registration forms and provides fee waivers or payments where appropriate.
- Supplies and assists students with admissions and financial aid applications. Provides waivers, where appropriate, for application fees.
- Provides students with PSAT information and encourages sophomores and juniors to take the test in October.
- Provides students with encouragement to take and information about college access related tests such as the ACT, Accuplacer, AP, ASVAB, and SAT. Provides waivers where appropriate.
- Provides information and applications, where appropriate, on outside scholarships and CollegeBound Foundation managed scholarships and grants. Assists students with completing applications when appropriate.
- Nominates qualified students for monetary awards/scholarships and collects necessary documentation.
- Conducts group workshops and seminars using CollegeBound Foundation advising modules or other appropriate guides for identified students.
- Delivers presentations to freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors about the college access process as delineated in yearly goals and plans.
- Provides services at identified community outreach venues.
- Conducts analysis of data collected associated with college outreach activities, college entrance exams, college applications and financial/scholarship applications. Provide written summary reports to high school administrators and Program Director as directed.
- Organizes and chaperones students on college visits or field trips related to the college access process.
- Utilizes computer technology to enter student data, assist students in applying to colleges/universities, complete the FAFSA on-line, research information regarding postsecondary options and requirements, and communicate with staff, students and parents.
- Attend all Specialists meetings and submits reports and timesheets as directed.
- Refers students to other services (school counselors, staff, college departments and other outside agencies) for assistance in areas outside of Specialist responsibilities, if deemed necessary.
- Serves as a student advocate with the best interest of the student as a prime concern, acting on behalf of the student through: 1) communication with colleges and universities; 2) communication with parents; 3) collaboration with high school staff and other external programs; and 4) communication and cooperation with outside scholarship programs.
- Maintains a professional demeanor with school staff and students. Adheres to strict confidentiality in student record keeping and access to SASI.
- Works with graduating high school students and families during summer months to assist with interpreting financial aid packages and completing the necessary steps to begin college the following fall.
- Works with high school students and families during the summer months to assist them with college access activities.
- Coordinates Specialist activities and provide training for other Specialists as assigned.
Health, dental, vision, LTD, life insurance, 401K plan
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to
Program Director, CollegeBound Foundation