Bloomberg Philanthropies works to create catalytic change across five areas of focus: arts and culture, education, the environment, government innovation, and public health. Our mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. Our approach is rooted in Mike Bloomberg's unique experience and success across the field of business, government, and philanthropy.
The Government Innovation programs build the capacity of local governments to solve problems effectively. Its initiatives – ranging from large-scale international innovation competitions to domestic efforts that help mayors hone their management skills and better use data in decision-making – equip local leaders with practical tools and approaches they can use to address local challenges. We currently invest in more than 200 municipal governments worldwide through grants, technical assistance, and participation programs. Our work environment is collegial, hard driving, and committed to outstanding results.
Bloomberg Philanthropies is seeking a Senior Program Manager to oversee the Bloomberg Cities Network. This program manager will work collaboratively with the Government Innovation team to provide superior day-to-day management and oversight of multi-million dollar, multi-year investments.
This individual will monitor and ensure success of these projects and provide strategic guidance for program expansion and scale. S/he will provide technical assistance to and serve as a thought partner for grantees, helping to solve problems and drive project success; develop, implement, and manage strategies for measuring and tracking program outcomes; manage consultants and key partners to achieve deadlines and produce results; and research, develop, and implement strategies for expanding reach and impact.
The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial, strategic thinker with a demonstrated passion for public sector innovation and familiarity with urban issues or innovation skills gained through five plus years in government, consulting, public policy, and/or a related field. S/he will bring highly sophisticated project management skills and the ability to run complex programs from strategy development to implementation and impact assessment. S/he will be a proactive, experienced relationship builder who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment, is deeply passionate about providing philanthropic support that has a systemic impact on these identified funding areas, and has an unwavering commitment to results and action. S/he will thrive working in a fast-paced, results-driven environment, and will bring the capacity to synthesize complex information in a way that is translated effectively to different audiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage relationships with program partners and grantees contracted to work on our behalf to engage cities, build capabilities within cities, develop robust peer learning and knowledge capture agendas; ensure a high quality customer service experience for participating cities; and deepen external understanding of program impact
- Manage data and strategies to measure and track program outcomes and impacts against goals and grant requirements
- Oversee routine gatherings of program partners and grantees, ensuring these achieve peer learning goals while also maintaining BP customer service and brand standards
- Ensure the prompt identification of cities grantees in need of course correction and ensure appropriate partner response
- Through direct communication, including occasional site visits, ensure grantees understand a clear connection to Bloomberg Philanthropies and its mission
- Manage plans to surface learnings across programs and devise strategies for communicating those lessons to the field
- Ensure robust program and operational coordination between the programs and the broader portfolio of Government Innovation activities
- Advise GI program leaders on strategies for continuous improvement of program partner and grantee performance
- Advise GI program leaders on program expansion and sustainability opportunities
- Advise GI program leaders on strategies to engage Foundation leadership in the program
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A minimum of eight+ years’ of relevant, full-time work experience in government, consulting, public policy and/or related field; direct experience in local government preferred but not required.
- Strong understanding and experience with human-centered design, open innovation methods, evidence-based policy, open data movement and citizen engagement.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity, with a history of working in environments that require discretion and confidentiality.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills required to build relationships within the Foundation, current and potential grantees, government officials, organizations, and important thought partners and influencers. Pragmatic, solutions-oriented approach.
- The proven ability to be a creative problem-solver paired with the ability to influence and motivate others to achieve objectives.
- Keen organizational skills including strong capacity to manage/coordinate simultaneous projects and successfully prioritize multiple tasks with sound judgment within a fast paced organization.
- Excellent written, and oral communication skills with a proven capacity to synthesize information and translate big ideas into actionable plans.
- Strong, independent work ethic with a demonstrated track record of delivering superior-quality results; willingness to participate in both strategic thinking and administrative tasks, operating with a collegial, team oriented working style.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master's degree in business, nonprofit management, policy, or a related field preferred
Bloomberg Philanthropies is an equal opportunities employer and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and accomplishment.
Minimum Education Required