Search

Job

Library Director

Posted by

Mark Twain Library Association


New
|
Published 7 days ago

The Mark Twain Library in Redding, Connecticut is seeking a visionary Library Director to carry on the legacy of its illustrious founder, Samuel L. Clemens, who began the library with his own books in  1908. Since then, the library’s space has quadrupled, its holdings now include nearly 70,000 items,  and it is clearly viewed as the hub of this Fairfield County community. Located less than 90 minutes from New York City and dubbed “the Vermont of Connecticut,” Redding is a sophisticated town of approximately 9,300 residents committed to excellence in education, preserving open space, and appreciating its notable history.  

Reporting directly to the Board of Trustees and working closely with various committees, the  Library Director is responsible for overall management of the Library’s 16 full- and part-time employees, its services, and its facility to ensure that it effectively meets the cultural, informational,  and social needs of the community. In addition, the Library Director develops and implements  Library operational policies, builds and is responsible for the nearly $1MM annual budget, and leads and supports development and fundraising initiatives. The Library Director should be a leader in both current and future services and trends. 

The Mark Twain Library is a non-profit, Association library providing free public library services to the Town of Redding. Roughly 60% of its operating budget is funded by an annual grant from the Town of Redding; the remaining 40% is raised by volunteers led by a Board of Trustees. The position requires that the Library Director have ability in managing an Association library, and — as the face and voice of the Mark Twain Library – cultivate its identity within the community.  

Requirements: Minimum 5 years of experience in a leadership role at a library or similar setting;  demonstrated experience in management, budgeting, planning, and personnel supervision; Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS), nonprofit management or a related field (preferred); demonstrated experience in fundraising/development; experience reporting to a governing board. Salary including benefits will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.

For complete Job Description please CLICK HERE. All questions are welcome via e-mail, text and phone via search@marktwainlibrary.org or 203.240.6866.

In a separate document, please respond to the following. Include your name on each page.

  1. How do you see the role of the public library changing over the next ten years? 
  2. What role do you think a small town public library should play in a community? 
  3. Describe any special or noteworthy projects that you have accomplished. 
  4. As the Library was founded by Mark Twain, what do you see as the Library Director’s role in strengthening the connection with this important heritage?

Please submit this application, your resume/CV, and answers to the four questions using the file upload function by February 1, 2021. If you prefer, print and mail to Eric Rubury, President, Mark Twain Library, P.O. Box 1009, Redding Center, CT 06875 (marked CONFIDENTIAL).

The Mark Twain Library in Redding, Connecticut is seeking a visionary Library Director to carry on the legacy of its illustrious founder, Samuel L. Clemens, who began the library with his own books in  1908. Since then, the library’s space has…

Details at a glance

  • On-site Location
  • Full Time Schedule
  • 4-Year Degree Required

Benefits

Available

Available

Level of Language Proficiency

English

English

Location

439 Redding Road, Redding, CT 06896

Apply to This Job

Instructions:

In a separate document, please respond to the following. Include your name on each page.

  1. How do you see the role of the public library changing over the next ten years? 
  2. What role do you think a small town public library should play in a community? 
  3. Describe any special or noteworthy projects that you have accomplished. 
  4. As the Library was founded by Mark Twain, what do you see as the Library Director’s role in strengthening the connection with this important heritage?
All fields are required
Resume must be uploaded in PDF format
Drag file here or browse
No file chosen
Drag file here or browse
No file chosen
By using the Idealist Application system, you consent to sharing your resume and other personal data with potential employers in accordance with Idealist’s Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Join Idealist

Sign up today to save your favorite jobs and get email alerts when new ones are posted.