Opportunity: East Africa Program Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Compensation: Competitive within the non-profit industry
Work Authorization: Candidates must already be authorized to work in Kenya
Who We Are
ideas42 has a clear mission: to use our unique experience as a nonprofit at the forefront of behavioral science to change millions of lives. We create innovative solutions to tough problems in economic mobility, health, education, safety and justice, consumer finance, energy efficiency and international development. Our approach is based on a deep understanding of human behavior and why people make the decisions they do. Working closely with our partners from government, foundations, NGOs and companies, we have more than 80 active projects in the United States and around the world. Example projects include:
- Partnering with governments in Sub-Saharan Africa to increase impact and efficiency of cash transfer programs.
- Partnering with financial service providers throughout Latin America to help people follow through on their intentions to save, building financial resilience among vulnerable populations.
- Partnering at the federal, state, and local levels in the United States, ideas42 is helping governments apply behavioral science to programs to improve how they serve constituents. Projects range from increasing flu vaccine uptake to increasing SNAP recertification rates.
- Working with service and technical assistance providers to improve the quality of family planning and reproductive health services in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
We seek entrepreneurial individuals with a passion for behavioral science and social innovation who will be excited to join us in growing ideas42’s work in East Africa. If you want to use your experience to generate massive social impact, ideas42 is the ideal vehicle for you.
Job responsibilities include:
- Managing field projects in Kenya and nearby countries
- Autonomous and successful execution of day to day tasks including all aspects of project and office management
- Serving as the day-to-day contact for partners, clients and vendors. Working through associated administrative and legal tasks such as vendor procurement, applications, and review of documents
- Coordinating a variety of tasks related to monitoring and implementation of behavioral interventions
- Developing full-scale project work plans and autonomously executing them
- Managing high-profile partnerships to move forward existing projects in Kenya and Tanzania, contributing to development of new partner relationships
- Assisting primary and secondary research such as surveys, interviews, and literature reviews
Who Are We Looking For?
Much of our work hinges on our ability to ask the right questions. As a result, we seek inquisitive and resourceful individuals who can be relied on to successfully execute complex projects. A passion for understanding human behavior, pursuing innovation, and promoting the social good is critical, but prior expertise or training in behavioral economics or psychology is not required.
- Master’s or equivalent plus 4 years OR Bachelor’s with 6 or more years of relevant work experience;
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Excellent attention to detail, written and verbal communication skills with a commitment to high-quality output;
- Ability to effectively engage partners including governments, NGO’s, and financial service providers;
- Available and willing to travel on a flexible schedule as needed, eventually up to 25 percent of full time;
- Mission-aligned, self-starter, and able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Record of academic excellence;
- Smart, logical and structured thinkers, who are also creative;
- Preferred experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa; culturally aware with significant exposure to diverse cultures;
- Fluency in English required. Fluency in Swahili is a plus;
- Working knowledge of statistics a plus.
Level of Language Proficiency
English & Swahili language skills preferred.
Minimum Education Required