1303 San Jacinto Street
KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE (KIND)
KIND was founded by the Microsoft Corporation and UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie, and is the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone. We do this in partnership with over 531 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations has served more than 16,386 children since 2009, and trained over 26,018 private sector attorneys to provide them with high quality representation in their deportation proceedings. KIND promotes protection of children in countries of origin and transit countries and works to address the root causes of child migration from Central America. KIND also advocates to change law, policy, and practices to improve the protection of unaccompanied children in the United States, by educating policymakers, the media, and the broader public about the violence that is driving children out of Central America and their need for protection.
KIND seeks a full-time Program Assistant for its Houston field office, to manage data entry, accept case referrals, conduct comprehensive intakes and outreach to child clients, and to be responsible for the overall administrative duties of the office.
Educational and Experience Requirements
Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
- Fluency in Spanish required;
- Experience with office organization and management, particularly in legal settings;
- Experience conducting intakes;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably, prior experience working with attorneys, law firms, or other legal service providers;
- Experience in data management;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; and
- Experience or familiarity with immigration and/or family law and immigration authorities
Commensurate with education and experience.
Senior Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney – Houston office
The staff member will have, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Assist with office administration and operations, case management, and data entry.
- Liaise with colleagues at other nonprofits, as well as individual members of the public, to receive on-line or telephonic referrals and ensure that referrals comply with KIND’s case acceptance criteria;
- Schedule and manage all logistics to ensure that an intake interview is timely scheduled;
- Interview, screen and conduct a comprehensive intake with each individual child;
- Prepare a case summary and comprehensive memorandum for each intake, and assemble a set of case documents for use by the KIND Staff and Pro Bono Attorneys;
- Provide translation and interpretation between English and Spanish as needed;
- Assist with pro bono placements and related duties;
- Prepare and manage docket lists for upcoming court dates as well as assist and notify children who are still waiting for placement with counsel; and
- Assist with case preparation for clients and help prepare filings for state court, the asylum office, and other immigration agencies.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary range requirements, writing sample, and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/
Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for
interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.