The Communications Manager will be responsible for the implementation of strategies that advance Audubon’s conservation ranching goals through strategic communications. Working closely with the Marketing Manager, they will conduct day-to-day work in the areas of planning, writing, print/electronic communication and publication, media and public relations, production and project management. The Communications Manager will work closely with the ACR leadership team, communications, policy and conservation staff across the Audubon network, including state and national staff.
- Develop and implement communications strategies that support ACR’s conservation goals of ACR through broadened visibility and reach.
- Enhance development goals, and deepen the impact of ACR’s work using various communication channels.
- Develop, and build on, strong relationships with state and regional reporters and media outlets (including print, digital, TV, radio) covering agriculture and natural climate solutions.
- Develop advocacy driven communication campaigns with measurable goals and outcomes for conservation ranching as it relates to natural climate solutions.
- Develop message frameworks and talking points for key initiatives, strategic priorities of the organization, and events.
- Support field staff in the amplification and promotion of legislative activities; leverage key moments like agency announcements, hearings, markups, floor votes to advance conservation ranching goals; and work closely with media outlets covering state and regional policy to create news moments and shape larger news narratives around policy priorities.
- Draft press releases, editorials, media pitches, holding statements and talking points that publicize and support Audubon’s mission and goals.
- Ghost write Op-eds and blogs for leadership team.
- Cultivate relationships with headquarters communications staff to increase collaboration.
- Synthesize national statements, policy and program materials to develop story angles and pitches for media.
- Manage projects and campaigns on time and on budget.
- Manage relationships with public relations agencies and other vendors, providing relevant tools and services across Audubon departments and ensuring successful completion of projects and campaigns.
- Develop and manage avenues of communication among ACR staff, ranchers, partners, and other internal audiences.
- Write, edit and distribute news releases and statements from Audubon leaders.
- Craft personalized pitches for reporters, editors and producers.
- Land high-quality media coverage at national, regional and local levels across all types of media.
- Develop and deliver media trainings for Audubon spokespeople: staff, volunteers and ranchers.
- Act as a partner with national communications and engagement staff.
- Ensure powerful messaging and consistency across communications vehicles, including the website, email and print newsletters, campaign collateral, reports, and social media for all audiences, internal and external, and communities.
- Manage photography and videography needs for/of events, activities, and general awareness for use in publications and media, and ensure proper releases are signed and filed. Maintain organization’s graphic, photo, and video files.
- Support development-related communications activities as needed.
- Track monthly metrics and analytics for digital communications and evaluate the results and make recommendations to enhance strategy.
- Carry out other special project assignments determined by the Vice President, ACR.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field and 5+ years of demonstrated success in marketing in a fast-paced, flexible, team-oriented environment, preferably with a retail or natural foods component. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills a must; ability to work with multiple stakeholder groups across a decentralized organization also necessary.
- A self-starter, one who is motivated, able to work in a decentralized work environment and juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications and comfort working in a variety of web-based databases and platforms.
- Detail-oriented and analytical nature, with the ability to measure and report impacts, balanced with the creativity to brainstorm story angles and design high visibility campaigns.
- Working knowledge of a contemporary digital communication ecosystem, including social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram; as well as previous experience working in a Content Management System (CMS).
- Basic experience with communication production, such as design and layout, video and audio production techniques and strategies, social media management and distribution, mobile technologies, and e-learning tools
- Ability to create and execute marketing plans, including drafting content and copy, in order to reach and engage target audiences.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, with demonstrated experience writing articles for newsletters, marketing literature, social media, and public relations materials.
- Experience pitching and developing strong relationships with traditional and new media; using online communications tools to enhance and amplify an organization’s core messages; and providing creative communications support, editing support, and strategy to multiple internal project teams simultaneously.
- Ability to synthesize and communicate technical and complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences and engage a diverse audience.
- Commitment to the advancement of Audubon’s mission of protecting birds and their habitat.