Amnesty International (AI) is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We are independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest or religion, and are funded mainly by our membership and public donation.
AIUSA’s Campaigns Unit leads the design and implementation of the organization’s top priority human rights work. The Campaigns team collaborates with rights-holders and other stakeholders to identify human rights goals and objectives, create strategies to achieve them and choose effective tactics to make a difference and grow the human rights movement, including through grassroots activism, public education, coalition-building, advocacy, research and strategic communications.
The Senior Campaigner will be responsible for developing, planning and delivering priority campaigns for Amnesty International USA. The Campaigner will consult with stakeholders to develop goals and objectives; create and implement a campaign strategy; select and implement effective tactics; and ensure that campaigns make measurable human rights impact.
- Work independently and in collaboration with the Unit lead and other stakeholders to select a strategic, measurable, achievable, realistic, timely and inclusive objective for a campaign; , create a strategy and select tactics to achieve the objective; including by leveraging AIUSA’s membership and field presence, research and reports; grassroots and high-level political advocacy; media; digital resources; and US/global credibility.
- Project manage and lead a cross-departmental team to implement campaign strategies and tactics to win real human rights impact.
- Plan and implement strategies on other projects in the Campaigns Unit as assigned by the Unit lead.
- Foster and develop relations with relevant international, national, and local coalition partners with the aim of identifying opportunities to collaborate, leverage AIUSA’s resources, and amplify campaigns with common goals and objectives.
- Develop high quality activism and advocacy materials including online petition language, activist toolkits, public events, resources for activists, public education materials, and other digital and written material as needed to achieve campaign goals.
- Conduct advocacy with governments to achieve campaign goals.
- Serve as a public and media spokesperson about campaigns.
- Develop strategic partnerships to help achieve campaign and program goals.
- Work collaboratively and directly with volunteers to achieve campaign and program goals.
- Assess campaign performance and share results with relevant stakeholders -- communicating out campaign developments, internally for staff, board, and members, and externally to coalitions and the public.
- Independently ensure the implementation of projects and campaigns through communication with the Campaign Manager.
- Track, coordinate and manage data to help the program achieve its goals and objectives.
- Supervise interns and/or consultants.
- Design and implement campaigns intentionally to help AIUSA achieve its organizational goals, including to grow our movement, build influence, increase visibility, support fundraising and improve Diversity, Inclusion, Equity and Accessibility (IDEA)
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Advanced degree in human rights or a related field preferred; BA required
- At least 5 years of experience planning and winning strategic campaigns on human rights or social justice issues; experience with refugee and/or migrants' rights preferred
- Demonstrated success in leading the development of short- and long-term campaigns on major domestic or global issues
- Demonstrated success as a lead strategist in determining ways to leverage grassroots membership, research, high-level political advocacy, media and digital resources to win campaigns
- Demonstrated understanding of digital tools including email, SMS, social media and data analytics to achieve campaign victories and bring in new members.
- Experience working in coalitions, leading/working with organizers and activists, and working in diverse communities required
- Experience building coalitions, leading/working with organizers and activists, and working with diverse communities
- Experience working cross-departmentally with Communications, Government Relations and Field Organizing staff
- Experience as a spokesperson with media and the public
- Demonstrated experience with international human rights issues required
- Strong track record working with advocacy-oriented research and analysis
- Experience working with membership-based organizations
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and social justice
- Exceptional ability to think on your feet, making tough decisions quickly and effectively in response to new events and developments
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, Spanish or other languages a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain composure under pressure
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative
- Ability to lead teams, including strong project management skills
- Ability to identify opportunities for innovation and to test new models
- Ability to use tact and discretion to obtain cooperation and understanding on routine matters
- Diplomatic skills to obtain trust, cooperation, and understanding in order to resolve routine problems.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability leading, coordinating and/or working with high-level team of advisors/staff/volunteers
- Ability and willingness for periodic travel
Please apply via the website with your resume and cover letter.