401 F Street Northwest
District of Columbia
The Director of Individual Giving is responsible for developing and implementing an innovative and comprehensive individual giving and membership strategy for the Museum. Working under the supervision of the Deputy Vice President for Development, the Director of Individual Giving will oversee all individual giving programs including membership, annual fund, medium to major giving, and planned giving. Supervising the Senior Individual Giving Officer, the Director of Individual Giving will carry his/her own portfolio of 50-100 major donors. The development operations and events team also supports this position.
Specific Responsibilities and Functions
Individual Giving Strategy and Implementation
- Create and manage a comprehensive and aggressive fundraising strategy for the Museum’s individual giving programs, including individual donor and prospect cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship at all giving levels, under the umbrella of the annual development plan.
- With the Senior Individual Giving Officer, collaborate with the marketing and communications department to develop outreach strategies and communication materials designed to increase membership and individual giving, using online, email, and social media, as well as print communications.
- Coordinate with all Museum departments to develop new ways to attract and retain donors and members through all channels.
- Identify new and creative ways to engage donors and strengthen their connection to the Museum and its mission, including through fundraising events.
- Supervise Senior Individual Giving Officer.
- Develop and strengthen the Museum’s major gifts program through planning and implementation of cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and renewal strategies and best practices.
- Identify, qualify, and manage a portfolio of 50-100 individual and small family foundation donors and prospects, including outreach via phone and in-person visits. Work closely with the Executive Director and Deputy Vice President for Development, Vice President of Exhibitions, and Vice President of Education.
- Champion and grow opportunities for major restricted giving to exhibitions, collections, and education, and serve as individual giving lead on the exhibition fundraising team.
- Conduct prospect research and qualify prospective individual donors from a variety of sources, using the prospect research database and other available sources.
- Write letters of solicitation, proposals, case statements, acknowledgement letters, reports, and other relevant correspondence.
- Develop and implement strategy for the Museum’s giving circles and planned giving programs.
Annual Fund and Membership
- Supervising the Senior Individual Giving Officer, set strategy for the Museum’s individual membership and annual fund programs, including acquisition, renewals, and special events and promotions, and provide support when needed.
- Track best practices and developing uses of technology, as well as data analytics, to ensure that Museum communications fully leverage our donors’ giving potential.
- Work with the development operations team to assess campaign performance, set key performance metrics, and leverage available data.
- Document donor/prospect contacts in electronic files and in the database pursuant to department procedures.
- Support the integrity of the donor database through accurate and timely input and becoming a proficient user.
- Utilize the donor database to produce campaign and prospect tracking reports to measure progress on fundraising goals and cultivation strategies.
- Maintain and uphold internal general operating procedures that govern the individual giving function.
- Follow all institutional finance and personnel procedures and support the annual audit.
- Serve as a member of the development team, participating in department meetings, the planning and activities of the department, and assisting with other department priorities.
- Support the overall objectives of the National Building Museum and act as an ambassador for the institution, especially to the philanthropic community.
- Other duties as assigned, including representing the department at Museum events such as the Honor Award, Turner Prize, exhibition opening receptions, etc.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send your resumé, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Include “Director of Individual Giving” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
General Qualification Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of fundraising experience
· Must have a proven track record with individual donors, closing gifts at the $5,000 level and above
· Experience with donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, including cold calling and face-to-face visits
· Ability and confidence to develop and maintain relationships with donors
· Self-starter and sense of initiative
· Familiarity with constituent management systems
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Proven experience in developing a budget, tracking and measuring campaigns and results
· Ability to work collaboratively across departments
· Project management skills and ability to manage a number of projects and deadlines simultaneously
· Personnel management experience