The Manager of English Language Learner (ELL) Services will serve in a hybrid instructional and coordination role. He/she/they will provide direct instruction and intervention to students identified as English language learners and also ensure assessment of and services to this population is implemented with quality and fidelity.
Start Date: immediately
Location: Amber Charter School East Harlem
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters Degree in the field of education preferred.
Certification and License: NYS teaching certification.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensure Compliance and Quality of English Language Learner Services
- ELL identification, including administration and/or coordination of the Home Language Survey and NYSITELL (New York State Identification Test for English Language Learners).
- Oversight and/or administration of annual NYSESLAT (New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test).
- Plan and facilitate any informational meetings for parents/caregivers of ELL students.
- Support with translation and interpretation as needed for communications with families.
- Maintain external partnerships with varying agencies on behalf of Amber Charter School East Harlem’s ELLs.
- Update and maintain all ELL data tracking systems.
Instructional Planning and Delivery
- Assume personal responsibility for the academic progress of ELL students.
- Implement a coherent, research-based curriculum with ELL students in flexible settings (push-in, pull-out, 1:1, remote).
- Document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics and other instructional materials and methods.
- Use consistent school-wide practices and a variety of individualized methods to engage students in the classroom.
- Use solid formative assessment practices to plan and shift instruction.
Support Instructional Staff to Develop and Implement Effective, Impactful Teaching Practices for ELLs
- Provide guidance, training, and professional development best practices for English language learners (ELLs).
- In partnership with teachers and leaders, identify and develop supplementary academic materials and resources to support the learning of all students, particularly those who are English language learners.
- Help teachers modify, differentiate and extend learning experiences to engage all ELL students.
- Monitor academic services in place for ELLs, including interventions, tutoring, in-class accommodations, modifications and modified schedules.
- Review and analyze formative and summative assessment data and evidence at the student, class, grade and school levels to inform instructional and professional development plans.
- Plan and facilitate professional development and ongoing guidance and support to ensure content, learning standards and curriculum materials are fully understood, and instruction is implemented in accordance with network and school expectations.
The Manager of English Language Learner Services may also assume other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Principal.
Reports to the Principal.
We are seeking candidates with the following experience, competencies and assets:
- Minimum of 3 years experience as an effective, impactful classroom teacher.
- Staff professional development, consulting and coaching experience.
- Deep knowledge of ELL proficiency expectations and pathways, and NYS learning standards.
- Familiarity with high-quality K-5 curriculum programs, particularly resources that support English language learner development.
- Familiarity with remote learning systems (e.g. Google Classroom, on-line curriculum platforms).
- Strong command of all Microsoft Office and Google drive programs.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple obligations and initiatives, strong attention to detail and excellent time management.
- Experience planning, developing, facilitating and evaluating high-impact professional development.
- A high degree of comfort and confidence implementing and modeling effective instruction.
- Knowledge of best practices in adult learning.
- Knowledge of change management theory and practice, team building, and group dynamics..
- Capacity to develop strong relationships based on trust, respect, effective communication, and common goals.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a commitment to preserving a bold, can-do culture that sustains the organization’s core values.
- Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working effectively with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results.
- Commitment to leveraging the existing strengths and supporting the continuous evolution of our communities, students, families and staff members.
- Alignment to the Amber Charter Schools mission and core values.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters Degree in the field of education preferred.
- NYS teaching certification.
- Spanish-speaking strongly preferred.