Details: Commensurate with experience.
Reporting to the Director of Faculty Support Services, the Assistant Director manages a team of support staff providing administrative assistance to faculty at the Law School, and is responsible for overseeing the successful workflow and apportionment of a large volume of administrative work for professors, centers, and programs. The incumbent will also have responsibility for overseeing and monitoring budgets for faculty and research centers.
1. Manages daily operations and workflow of a team of support staff providing administrative assistance to faculty and research centers. Allocates and tracks work among team members, as requested by the faculty member(s) or center(s). Exercises independent judgment in assigning and reapportioning work based on assessments of task urgency and availability of resources.
2. Records attendance, including reviewing and approving timesheets, arranging for coverage for team members who are out of the office, tracking daily arrival and departure times, and approving time off.
3. Manages research budgets for three or more faculty members. As assigned, monitors research center non-personnel expenses and assists research administrators in submitting timely quarterly budget updates to Business Office. Has the ability to authorize purchasing using a purchasing card. Is responsible for auditing Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement (TBERS) for team prior to final submission to Business Office.
4. Provides advice and strategic assistance with respect to the high-level aspects of planning and organizing special events, including symposia, colloquia, and workshops, both on and off campus.
5. Hires, orients, supervises and disciplines team staff, in accordance with relevant policies and procedures. Prepares all related materials such as job descriptions, onboarding memos, and disciplinary letters.
6. Assumes responsibility for the professional development of staff members, arranging meetings and trainings as needed.
7. Assists the Director with special projects and performs other duties as needed.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For instructions on how to apply online, please go to:
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer --Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran.