Location: Kanab, Utah
Position Summary: Responsible for leadership and management of all financial accounting and reporting (internal/external), including supervision of a staff of 8. The Sr. Manager works collaboratively with other managers in Finance, as well as those in other departments, to ensure the efficient and effective processing of financial transactions and the smooth flow of financial information across the organization. The Sr. Manager ensures that the organization remains compliant with all relevant financial/tax reporting standards and regulations and serves as a member of the Finance Leadership Team.
- Oversees an appropriate internal control structure; including development and maintenance of accounting policies, procedures, business processes and information systems.
- Produces timely and informative internal financial reporting, including informed commentary.
- Works with external auditors and others to ensure the timely and accurate production of audited financial statements, filing of IRS Forms 990/990T, and completion of other compliance-type filings (e.g. State Registrations, 5500's).
- Works collaboratively with the senior managers of Asset Management and Analysis/Business to ensure that systems/processes are integrated, and information flows Also works regularly with managers in other disciplines (Development, Programs, HR, ITS) that feed/use financial information.
- Serves as primary decision maker in the appropriate application of accounting standards for transactions (e.g. contributions, financings, leases) and reporting disclosures.
- Assists Director of Finance in projects as requested, including preparation for Board and Finance Committee meetings, and fills in for Director as/when needed.
- Attracts, develops and retains staff in the size, quality and structure required to carry out the responsibilities of the department and to support the financial information needs of organizational decision-makers.
- Stays abreast of current trends in accounting and financial reporting and applies knowledge to continually improve the effectiveness of the department and the quality of the financial reporting.
Skills and Experience, Must Have's:
- Bachelor's degree or higher and current CPA certification
- A working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles relevant to not-for-profit (NFP) organizations, particularly IRC Section 501(c)(3)'s
- Successful supervisory experience
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with, NFP accounting systems
- Ability to relocate to Kanab, Utah
- Appreciation of the mission and Guiding Principles of the Best Friends Animal Society
Skills and Experience, Nice to Have's:
- Minimum 3 years management experience in not-for-profit finance and/or accounting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable talking in a group setting, making presentations or facilitating a discussion
- Specific knowledge of and/or experience with Serenic (Microsoft Dynamics NAV). Familiar with Certify, Blackbaud CRM and Tableau or similar applications. General comfort using Microsoft Office tools, collaboration software, etc., including Microsoft Access or an equivalent query software
- Ability to establish priorities, manage deadlines, exercise a high degree of professionalism in interactions with all levels of staff, partners and service providers
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, proactive in follow-up and follow-through; continual attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple competing tasks, projects and demands
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
- Comfortable working in a remote, smaller town
- Ability to see and sort a variety of printed and online information
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website above. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.