TITLE: Preparedness Specialist
REPORTS TO: Medical Advisor, Hurricane Maria
LOCATION: Puerto Rico
ASSIGNMENT: Full time
Americares global health programs seek to confront crisis and create change by creating pathways to health and opportunity. We aspire to support individuals, families and their communities to realize improved health outcomes that lead to years of good health so they can reach their full potential. The Global Program teams at the organization lead this work, working with our partners in over 40 countries through our Access to Medicines and Medical Consumables and reaching more than 90 countries and 50 states through our work annually. The teams include the International Partnerships & Programs team, the US Team, and the Emergency Programs team, which encompasses emergency preparedness and risk reduction, emergency response, and disaster recovery.
Americares responds to 25-30 disasters a year in the US and around the world. Our goal is to save lives and protect and improve health threatened by disasters. We achieve this by providing medicines and medical supplies, restoring health facilities and systems, providing mental health and psychosocial support, and helping prevent the spread of disease.
Americares is seeking an experienced, dynamic, Preparedness Specialist to help Americares implement strategies and initiatives to build preparedness capabilities of health facilities and health systems and to help communities reduce disaster risk, with a focus on reducing risks to public health. The Preparedness Specialist will use his/her knowledge of US and international best practices, US and international guidelines and regulations, and his/her own direct disaster experience to support Americares preparedness and disaster risk reduction efforts in Puerto Rico.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Implement facility-based emergency preparedness programs to improve preparedness of safety net health facilities in Hurricane Maria affected areas.
· Facilitate workshops and provide training and technical assistance to Americares partners.
· Travel to project sites to conduct needs assessments and gap analysis, monitor and implement projects, and where needed respond to disasters.
· Work closely with Preparedness team at headquarters and Hurricane Maria team in Puerto Rico to integrate DRR/preparedness into disaster response and recovery efforts.
· Provide guidance and training to Americares staff in the field.
· Perform other related duties as required.
· Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in disaster preparedness/risk reduction.
· Bachelor degree required; advanced degree in public health, emergency management or related field an advantage.
· CEM, CBCP, CBCI or related certifications an advantage.
· Experience conducting preparedness/DRR work in the US and abroad.
· Experience working on health institution preparedness.
· Proven track record in facilitation and conducting training, and providing technical assistance in DRR/preparedness.
· Fluency in English and Spanish required
· Willingness to travel and work in remote areas
· Able to operate independently and as part of a team
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be fluent in Spanish and English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to : https://americares.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home?c=americares#/requisition/496