The ACLU of Texas seeks a passionate and creative individual for the position of Immigrant Rights Strategist, to lead the affiliate’s policy and political work securing and ensuring the rights of immigrants and their families in the state of Texas. As part of the ACLU of Texas’ political strategies team – and in collaboration with other ACLU of Texas staff, our nationwide partners at the ACLU, and partner organizations in Texas and beyond – the Immigrant Rights Strategist will:
- Lead the development and execution of creative strategies that support immigrant rights policy goals at the state Capitol and support local work, coordinating closely with the ACLU of Texas’ legal team and other program departments;
- Provide in-depth research and draft policy, advocacy, and public education materials on immigrant rights issues in Texas, specifically where they intersect with constitutional rights;
- Participate in, and where appropriate lead, joint initiatives with organizational partners and coalition members;
- Work with the communication team to develop traditional media and social media advocacy pieces, which may include: drafting press releases, working with reporters, coordinating press events, and developing content, as well as serving as a media spokesperson on the issue in print and broadcast media.
- Work closely and coordinate with the ACLU of Texas’ Border Rights Center in El Paso, the ACLU’s Immigrant Rights Project, and other ACLU colleagues on shared initiatives;
- Work with politicians to pass legislation that meets ACLU’s goals and serve as a spokesperson to the Texas Legislature;
- Identify opportunities to improve the impact of the immigrant rights work of the ACLU of Texas.
The best candidate for this position will have broad and deep knowledge of the impact of state and federal immigration policies on communities in Texas. This position serves as a point person for Immigrant Rights work of the ACLU of Texas and will meet the following qualifications:
· Fluent in Spanish (both spoken and written)
· B.A. desired, with degree in public policy, J.D., or similar studies a plus;
· Demonstrated effectiveness in coordinating multiple stakeholders to identify and work toward shared goals;
· Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously;
· Excellent communication and relationship building skills;
· Background in advocacy, with experience at the state legislature preferred;
· Strong organizational skills;
· Ability to see a project through from start to finish with minimal supervision yet a great deal of input and collaboration with internal and external partners.
This position is based out of the ACLU of Texas state headquarters in Houston, and reports to the Deputy Director/Legislative in the Political Strategies Department.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of ACLU of Texas’s salary scale. Excellent benefits include a generous Paid Time Off policy, medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with an employer match; life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Electronic applications in MS Word or pdf format are preferred. Cover letter, resume, and three professional references can be submitted to:
Mail: ACLU of Texas, Attn: Immigrant Rights Strategist Search, P.O. Box 8306, Houston, TX 77288
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
Minimum Education Required