Role & Responsibilities
Contribute to a smooth supply chain for GSO and field country programmes, train and empower Medair logistics colleagues, advise field logistics staff and support GSO departments in their procurement processes.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our GSO and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair Global Support Office (GSO), Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
February 2021. Full time, 8 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Responsible for managing procurement from GSO related to the procurement categories assigned including Global Emergency Team goods and services, developing procurement plans, initiate, negotiate and monitor Framework Agreements, and ensure on time renewal and new market assessment at their expiry.
- Organise, initiate, follow up and track procurement requests ensuring procurement of the right product, at the right time, to the right location, at the right prices using the right procedures in compliance with Medair and donor guidelines.
- Initiate, advice, train field procurement staff on the use of best practices and excellence in procurement.
- Advise and support GSO departments in planning, organising and monitoring their procurement.
- Liaise with suppliers; maintain and build supplier relations, process invoices and ensure on time payment.
- Monitor actual procurement against conditions agreed in long term contracts and framework agreements and ensure contract, supplier and procurement records are kept up-to-date.
- Support the Procurement Focal Point within Medair; ensuring policies and procedures are up-to date and serve as reference point for questions, information and training.
- Act as Medair shipment officer for the own procured goods or services; make sure shipments are organised in time and according to the right procedures, taking into account international, national and customs regulations; follow up shipments and communicate schedules with consignees.
- Support and assist the general work and administration of the Logistics team.
- Develop, implement, support and train staff in procurement guidelines.
- Cover for other Logistics team members when absent or re-assigned to support emergency response.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in Procurement or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or a related field.
- Certification in humanitarian logistics.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Previous experience in logistics or administration.
- Experience of logistics in a cross-cultural, challenging environment.
- Knowledge of Medair systems and procedures and experience in supporting projects in health, shelter and/or WASH desirable.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Power point and Outlook.
- Prior experience with Microsoft Dynamics 365 or other logistics software solutions desirable.
- Good planning, coordination, analytical and problem-solving skills. Good negotiation skills.
- Enthusiastic with ‘can-do’ attitude. Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Diplomatic, especially for working with authorities and suppliers.
- Good understanding of humanitarian issues.
- Compassionate, self-motivated, energetic, autonomous.