Details: Salary and benefits are competitive with other similar institutions.
1400 16th Street, NW
The Migration Policy Institute (MPI), a nonpartisan, nonprofit think tank dedicated to the study of U.S. and international migration, seeks a highly motivated, strategic, and exceptionally talented Assistant to the President of the institute. The Special Assistant will support the President in strategic planning, board development, fundraising, and research. The job is based in Washington, DC.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an exceptional understanding of institutional change, strong interpersonal skills, exemplary organizational ability, and excellent research skills. Spanish language ability is highly preferred.
The Special Assistant will report to MPI’s President. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in social sciences, public policy, or journalism
- Three or more years of professional experience in a think tank, nonprofit organization, congressional office, or government agency
- Knowledge of and/or demonstrated interest in international migration required
- Initiative, creativity, and ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple assignments, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Experience supporting fundraising and board operations highly desired
- Experience with organizing meetings, conducting outreach on research, and social media
- Proven research and writing ability. (Finalists will be asked to submit a writing sample.)
- Spanish-language fluency (or reading proficiency) highly desired; other languages a plus
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the President on institutional strategy, including finalizing, implementing, and periodically reviewing strategic plan
- Work closely with the President to develop new institutional initiatives
- Support the President in board development, including ongoing communication with current/potential board members
- Support the President in identifying and cultivating development opportunities including support from foundations, individuals, and corporations
- Support the President in research on key migration topics in the United States, Latin America, and around the world. Help prepare speeches, reports, and opinion articles. May develop own areas of research on key migration topics with other MPI staff in line with the institute’s strategic priorities
- Some scheduling, meeting coordination, and administrative duties in support of the executive office
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish-language fluency (or reading proficiency) highly desired; other languages a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and short writing sample to email@example.com. Please reference “Special Assistant to the President” in the subject line and include a line telling us how you heard about this position.
Hard copies may be sent to:
Migration Policy Institute
1400 16th St NW Suite 300
Washington, DC 20036
Applications are due by close of business on October 8, 2018. Due to the large number of applicants, only those being considered for the position will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
The Migration Policy Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual or gender orientation, religion or physical ability.