Full Time Temporary
3901 Fieldston Road
Ethical Culture Fieldston School is a progressive PreK-12 independent school that has been serving students from throughout New York City and the surrounding suburbs since 1878. ECFS offers a rich curriculum in the arts, sciences, and humanities. A co-ed, nonsectarian school, it serves a diverse community of about 1,700 students on two campuses -- one in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, and the other in Manhattan.
The Ethical Culture Fieldston School is seeking Specialty Camp Counselors for the Fieldston Outdoors day camp that operates in July and August each year. Specialty Counselor must be available for the entire duration of the camp session and attend all required trainings. Specialty Counselors are in charge of a group of children and teach skills to campers in areas like dance, music, nature/science, PE, yoga, and swim instructions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend all days of staff orientation before camp
- Attend all days of camp and after camp staff meetings during the summer
- Communicate regularly with Camp Director and Assistant Director
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Work harmoniously with an assigned Assistant Counselor
- Maintain standards of camp conduct and punctuality
- Assume responsibility for the health, safety and well-being of their campers
- Keep record of camper attendance, activity, behavior and injuries/accidents
- Participate in all camp activities
- Provide quality supervision at all times with special attention paid to the locker rooms during changing periods, lunch, swim and transitional periods
- Encourage campers to do their best
- Focus on social dynamics of assigned camper group
- Must be a teacher currently working in classroom setting
- Some experience working with children strongly preferred
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for the school’s mission
- Accepting, inclusive and positive attitude.
- Desire to spend the summer outdoors
- Desire to work collaboratively
- Ability to be flexible and rise above stressful situations
- Desire to learn or utilize previous knowledge of basic sustainability methods a plus
- Excellent organizational and oral/written communication skills
- Ability to interact with children and colleagues of diverse cultural and social backgrounds
- Comfortable with job flexibility and ambiguity
Ethical Culture Fieldston School provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Ethical Culture Fieldston School complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location.
Minimum Education Required