District of Columbia
The International Center for Religion & Diplomacy (ICRD) is seeking to hire a Program Officer who will work with the ICRD team to provide support for specific ICRD projects and grant proposals, primarily in Yemen and potentially elsewhere in the MENA and South Asia region – including but not limited to the following:
- Assist in conducting conflict analysis, program design, and broad strategic development;
- Translate between Arabic and English, both orally and in written documentation;
- Assist with the development of program resources, which may include: methodologies, conflict resolution tools, training materials or curricula, and monitoring and evaluation tools;
- Conduct research to inform program development and implementation;
- Assist in field activities, as needed, which may include: serving as a co-trainer, facilitator, and/or translator;
- Help draft proposals and project and grant reports for donors;
- Maintain relationships and communications with partners and supporters, and help expand ICRD’s network; and
- Other tasks as designated by ICRD senior staff, which may include assisting with financial accounting, some administrative and logistical tasks, and other programmatic and institutional support.
- Fluency in Arabic, both written and spoken;
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken;
- Demonstrated experience with conflict resolution or countering violent extremism programming;
- Training and facilitation skills;
- Meaningful experience in supporting project management, administration, and implementation;
- Strong inter-personal skills;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Self-starter with a demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems with minimal supervision;
- Commitment to religious pluralism and religious freedom;
- Ability to handle multiple competing deadlines, as well as adapt to differences in cultural and professional styles across country contexts;
- Effective at working as part of a team in a diverse and fluid environment;
- Willingness to travel internationally in support of ICRD’s programmatic work;
- Legally authorized to work in the United States (ICRD is unable to sponsor visas at this time);
- Willingness to be flexible and contribute beyond normal tasks and areas of expertise.
Additional Skills – some or all of the following are preferred:
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Affairs, Conflict Resolution, Religious Studies or related fields with 5 years of relevant experience or Master’s Degree in same with 3 years’ experience; and
- Strong understanding of Arab cultures, including the ability to cultivate and maintain relationships and carry out negotiations in Arab cultural contexts;
- Understanding of Islam, including subtleties of sectarian identities and practices, and current social and political realities in Islamic contexts;
- Experience in designing training curricula;
- Knowledge of MENA region with a focus on Yemen, particularly with regard to conflict, violent extremism, political transition, and religion;
- International field experience;
- Experience in grants management, including working with USG grant mechanisms;
- Strong research, writing, and editing skills;
- Experience in program design; and
- Fundraising experience – particularly with private donors.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To be considered for a Program Officer position, please compile your cover letter, resume, writing samples, and references into a single Word or PDF document and send to Aeryka Fausett at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label the first attachment: “Last Name, First Name_Program Officer Application”.
- Cover Letter – Include a brief overview of your qualifications for the position and why you are interested in working with ICRD.
- Résumé – Include your professional and educational experience and language skills (specify level of oral and written skills).
- Writing Sample – Please submit two (2) two-three page writing samples of your choice (may be excerpts from longer essays); submission of an Arabic writing sample is strongly encouraged.
- References – Please submit the name, phone number, and email of two-three references. At least one of these should be a professional reference, the others can be professional or academic references.