Police Athletic League (PAL) is the largest independent youth organization in New York City that provides educational and recreational activities for children and young adults. PAL Inc. and The New York City Police Department work in partnership to provide communities with summer and after-school recreational and educational activities.
We are looking for a Tutor who will be responsible for assisting high school students in the area of homework assistance and improved literacy. Knowledge of NYC HS curriculum. Specifically seeking expertise in subject areas of Math, Science & History.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide individual and small group tutoring.
- Prior experience working with students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Meet with caseworkers to discuss student’s academic progress or difficulties as well as behavioral issues that may affect learning.
- Present ideas and suggestions for improving programs as often as possible. When presenting a problem or offering constructive criticism, also offer an alternate solution.
- Build positive relationships with youth and staff and serve as a role model with respect to demeanor, communication, and behavior.
- Create stimulating lessons or activities that enhance grade-appropriate learning.
- Observe and document youth who appear to have weaknesses in academic areas.
- Respond to any requests the caseworkers may provide with regard to the educational needs of a youth.
- Afternoon & Evening Hours
- Submit weekly, monthly, written and verbal reports as requested.
- Attend staff meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Ability to work with at-risk teenagers from diverse backgrounds.
- Prior tutoring experience with high school curriculum including Regents subjects
- Associate Degree and/or 60+ college credits.
No calls, please. External recruiters and agents, please don’t contact this job poster.
Police Athletic League seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at PAL are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required