Days End Farm Horse Rescue (DEFHR) is looking for a dedicated, talented and socially conscious Community Outreach Director to lead our organization’s Outreach department by implementing strategies and ensuring sustainability and organizational growth of our education and outreach programing. A vital part of this position is the development and execution of a multitude of diverse and innovative education and outreach initiatives while growing and sustaining a vibrant volunteer program to help expand the organization’s capacity to meet the needs of the community it serves. This candidate is an exemplary educator with the ability to successfully represent DEFHR to a variety of audiences in the community. This talented individual will need to be able to effectively and positively communicate DEFHR’s vision, mission, goals, programs and Outreach efforts internally and externally through the engagement of volunteers and members of the public, while also cultivating and nurturing relationships with individuals and organizations.
The ideal candidate for this role should possess a passion for education, excellent networking abilities, “out of the box” creative thinking, good people skills, exceptional writing, communication and time management skills as well the ability to execute direction and vision.
Purpose of Position:
Responsible for the creation, implementation and management of a broad array of educational, volunteer and community outreach programs designed to support the brand of the organization and engage interested parties to the mission and objectives of DEFHR. The Director advocates for education and outreach initiatives, facilitating their successful integration into the overall short and long-range plans of the organization, while establishing and stewarding strategic partnerships to advance DEFHR.
Education/ Outreach Program:
• Assist in advancing agritourism initiatives and activities for the organization.
• Advance our virtual and digital educational offerings.
• Oversee the daily operations of the future welcome center and related activities as developed.
• Ensure all participants and programs meet necessary protocols.
• Develop and oversee implementation of curriculum and lesson plans for educational
• Responsible for maintaining a detailed calendar of outreach events as well as scheduling,
agendas, class evaluations, and instructor preparation for all related activities.
• Ensure all departments are prepared to accept visitors for educational events and programs.
• Interface with educational staff and substitute as instructor/presenter on various topics as
• Available as a point of contact for all community and education-related visiting groups.
• Pursue educational speaking engagements locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
• Coordinate and manage tabling and other participation at conferences, tradeshows and
informational booths including promotional collateral and merchandise.
• Cultivate and maintain professional relationships with local, regional, and national schools and
• Oversee and manage all aspects of the residential and non-residential internship program.
• Oversee the Maryland Equine Transition Service (METS/Owner-2-Owner)
o Intake new clients through processing necessary paperwork, conducting interviews.
o Oversee staff and volunteers to ensure standards and procedures of onsite equine
assessments are being upheld and followed.
o Create and execute marketing plans for owner placements.
o Oversee the execution of potential owner placements.
o Manage program network to include cultivation and expansion efforts.
• Establish and update written policies and procedures, orientation and training curriculum, as
well as job descriptions for volunteers.
• Create and oversee volunteer recruitment, retention and appreciation plans, to include
conducting regular volunteer satisfaction surveys.
• Ensure proper maintenance of volunteer and educational participants records, to include the
volunteer database and reporting functions.
• Advise on recruiting, training, resolving conflicts between, and terminating volunteers.
• Oversee volunteer training and safety program.
• Advocate for volunteer needs and interests and mediate conflicts between volunteers or
between volunteers and staff through relationship cultivation.
• Supervise and train assigned staff.
• Understand best practices and monitor trends, issues, and regulations that effect community
• Oversee customer service and educational techniques training for all staff working with
volunteers and on education programs.
• Collaborate with the CEO, Leadership Team, and other key players to deliver on DEFHR’s
• Contribute innovative and inspiring communications and public messaging.
• Uphold DEFHR’s professional image and promote positive staff morale.
• Establish, cultivate and maintain relationships with vendors, businesses and other partners.
• Ensure the safety of staff, volunteers, animals, and public.
• Assist in executing digital and print marketing materials, campaigns and other forms of outreach
as needed; some design and planning work may be necessary. To include but not limited to
DEFHR Website, Social Media engagement, E-blasts, Newsletter, and promotional collateral such
as brochures, event flyers, and advertising ads.
• Assist in providing relevant content to ensure timely on website and social media platforms for
all DEFHR programs and events.
• Support design, copy, image, and content needs for promotional literature, activities and
• Act as a brand steward, upholding brand and trademark standards and consistency in all
• Participate in media interviews as it relates to department programs.
• Work with publication vendors for timely content submissions.
• Manage department budget.
• Act as spokesperson and represent DEFHR in a wide range of public forums and partnerships.
• Identify and execute project needs and specifications.
• Increases operational efficiency, establishing and improving workflow processes as needed.
• Gather data and provide, at minimum, quarterly metrics and statistical analysis for direct
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or minimum of three years’ equivalent or related work experience in a
nonprofit setting. Background in education, specifically environmental or humane education
and/or animal welfare will be given preference.
• Proficiency with MicrosoftExcel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook essential. Proficiency in
volunteer databases and/or CRM platforms is a plus.
• Inherently creative and/or artistic; confident with marketing and design software and digital
• Solid command of education, outreach and marketing strategies, volunteer development, and
• Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication, excellent attention to detail and the
ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills, and a demonstrated ability to create, plan,
organize, and implement programs and events.
• Professional, articulate, optimistic, and energetic with the ability to motivate and inspire people
at all levels.
• Command of effective, analytical problem identification and resolution skills.
• Self-motivated, self-starter, and team player with a positive and professional work ethic.
• Experience leading and managing staff and volunteers, and working in a team-based
• Proven track record of consistently exceeding standards for major responsibilities or objectives.
• Results and data driven, utilizing detailed reportable metrics.
• Strong writing, editing, proofreading and layout/design skills are essential (must be willing to
submit writing samples upon request).
• Confident communicator.
• Must be willing to ensure completion of necessary tasks in the absence of staff.
• Sincere interest in DEFHR’s mission and vision, and working knowledge of horses and safe horse
• Strong work ethic and moral standards.
• Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
• Passion for DEFHR’s mission and making a difference.
• Compassion for animals and people.
Time Required: Full Time – 40+ hour week, 8am-5pm with one hour for lunch. Setting up, planning, support and/or working during special events (minimum of 3 times/year), Weekend days will be required based on scheduled events and activities, with an adjusted weekday schedule.
Training Required: Training programs that apply to position or enhance job performance are available upon approval and some may be required.
Salary: Annual salary is based on experience and qualifications with benefits. Employment with Days End Farm Horse Rescue is based on mutual consent, both the employee and Days End Farm Horse Rescue have the right to terminate employment at will, with our without cause, at any time.
Starting Wage: $38,000-$40,000 with review after first 90 days.
Benefits Package: As stated in personnel policies - following a 90-day review, individual health and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick leave. Eligibility for 401k saving plan and long-term disability coverage activates after one year of employment.
To apply send cover letter and resume with email subject line: COD Applicant to erin at defhr.org.
Days End Farm Horse Rescue (DEFHR) is looking for a dedicated, talented and socially conscious Community Outreach Director to lead our organization’s Outreach department by implementing strategies and ensuring sustainability and…
Benefits Package: As stated in personnel policies - following a 90-day review, individual health and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick leave. Eligibility for 401k saving plan and long-term disability coverage activates after one year of employment. Fun office and working environment, great team to be a part of!
Benefits Package: As stated in personnel policies - following a 90-day review, individual health and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick leave. Eligibility for 401k saving…