4 West 43 Street
Reporting to and supporting the Deputy Executive Director, The Director of Finance and Administration is a senior level position that oversees the organization’s finance and administrative functions, including contracts management and human resources.
The Director of Finance and Administration heads and carries out the duties of the Finance Department and provides accounting expertise to the agency. His/her role is macro - entailing financial planning, management, trend analysis, projections, variance, cash flows, and balance sheet analysis. It is also hands on - including bookkeeping, accounting, budgeting (currently a $6 million budget), payroll, banking, auditing functions and contracts management responsibilities. She/he will be required to thoroughly review and analyze the financial records, paying careful attention to contract compliance and budgetary concerns.
The Director of Finance and Administration also has administrative responsibilities and helps to manage the administrative activities of HousingPlus. This includes developing and maintaining efficient and effective office systems and processes, including information technology, negotiating insurance and other contracts, overseeing human resources and strategizing and planning.
She/he should be able to take initiative with assignments, assist with problem solving, effectively communicate and organize work duties.
• Work with the DED and ED to provide overall leadership for all aspects of the organization’s financial management, planning, reporting and analysis, and setting annual budgets that guide organizational priorities and decision-making.
• Supervise the HR Manager, Office Administrator/Bookkeeper and Contracts Manager.
• Oversee the day-to-day management of accounting, financial reporting, contracts management, accounts receivable and accounts payable, cash-flow analysis and the yearly budgeting process.
• Ensure compliance with the standards and reporting requirements of external stakeholders, including funders, auditors, donors, foundations and other relevant entities.
· Develop and maintain a system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards and procedures and educate and assist staff with the stated policies.
· Monitor the process for all government contract vouchering and financial reporting to ensure both timely and accurate submissions and financial compliance. Coordinate with Contracts Manager to evaluate and allocate strategically the contract resources to meet program needs.
• Negotiate and manage a variety of external vendor relationships for banking, accounting, insurance, IT and office operations; and, coordinate contract negotiation and renewals
• Oversee Payroll and employee benefits
· Prepare year-end tax reports including 1099 and 1096 Tax forms; compile information for tax/audit accountants for the filing of 990 returns and A-133 filings
· Support Development department with creation of specific financial information required for funding proposals and reports
· Monitor HR Manager on HR and personnel administration
· Coordinating information systems and activities
• Work closely with the Board Treasurer, finance committee and audit committee
• Other duties as required by the DED
• You are inspired by the mission of HousingPlus and eager to join others working to achieve it
• You are highly self-motivated and driven by a strong work ethic and deep integrity
• You create a positive work environment for those who report to you, fostering teamwork
In addition, you meet the following requirements:
• 6-10 years of senior level management experience in finance and administration
• Strong non-profit finance experience, including overseeing audits
• Thorough understanding of financial accounting, with demonstrated competencies in substantially all aspects of the role described above
• Experience designing and implementing financial and operational systems and processes to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of a growing organization
• Extensive working knowledge of business accounting software highly preferred; example QuickBooks and Fund EZ
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively across departments to accomplish strategic initiatives and improve organizational performance
• Excellent oral and written communications skills, including presenting to the board, committees and staff
· Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
· At least seven to 10 years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience
· The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
· Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
· A track record in grants management
· Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
· A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
· Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
· A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of this organization
• Benefits include (Health, Vision, Dental), Retirement Plan, LTD and generous Paid-Time-Off (PTO) policy
Minimum Education Required